Thursday, October 4, 2007

Angel or Devil??? (note the eyes)

Erin feels like her blog is always about food. I feel like our blog is all about the harrowing experiences of parenting. Yesterday, after the exhausting chore of going through clothes to box up the small ones and pull out the new size (these kids have way too many clothes) Allie went into the pantry and starting smashing and throwing rice paper every where- a brand new package. We had these at a Payne gathering- the Vietnamese rolls (they are like tortillas but made out of rice in case you unsure what they are). I was irrate! I told her to stop immediately and pick up the pieces which were all over the floor in the pantry. She wanted help (which means she wants you to do it while she watches). I got her a bag and tried to help her get started but she just sat there in her mess, breaking the pieces up even smaller. I left to hang the laundry outside. When I came back she had taken the cap off a new container of cooking spray and was spraying everything down. She used atleast a third of the bottle. Remember, she is still in the pantry. I was livid! This job should have only taken 5 seconds and it would be so much easier to just do it myself but I was not going to let her win. I step out to grab some paper towels to clean the cooking spray off everything and when I came back she had opened a brand new container of shortening and stuck her hand in it. So now I realized she could not be left unsupervised and I just wanted to finish and get out of the laundry room/pantry. All the while Allie is fussing and crying and carrying on. Luke kept trying to comfort her and figure out why she won't leave with him. Jason came home finally and Allie was still there. It had been over an hour and a half by now. Poor guy- he came home to a very unhappy house! After almost 2 hours in the same 3x3 space she finally cleaned it up enough to leave. I was so glad to leave for my little sewing class. Sometime between that and going to bed, she managed to glue styrafoam peanuts to the computer desk and carpet. A final jab at us.


Now, not to impress you all with my superhuman ability, but for history's sake, I have to tell you I was so so so angry! I wanted to scream, pull my hair out, pull her hair out, beat the child, cry, etc. But I remained in control the whole time. My voice was stern and very serious and only at times slightly elevated. Most of the time it was low and very direct. I am so proud of myself! And I would not budge. Really, I think that was the worst part about it for her. Almost two hours and the same little spot and she could not make me loose control. But oh she knew VERY WELL that I was NOT happy! I can hardly believe it myself. It was a pretty miserable experience for both of us. And no, I could not take a picture because I had zero sense of humor about this. It felt like it lasted for HOURS. It has been Luke we have had to keep a close eye on lately, not Allie. This was so unlike her. Please tell me there are happier ways to get your parents attention.

6 comments:

Kristyn said...

You know, I actually REALLY enjoy hearing stories like that. Not to relish in others' pain, but because it helps prep me for when this happens to me, so I can avoid the whole "What did I do to raise a child like this?" question. I think you guys are great parents so knowing this happens reassures me that not only will it happen and it will be okay, but that it's not because I'm a super bad parent. I think more people should share horrific experiences and not shy away from them. Besides, the ones my mom tells me about when I was a kid we just LAUGH our heads off about, so it will be good to reminisce (sp) about later!

paynejandj said...

Thanks Kristyn. I still think I am going to work on-watch for a happy experience to share for the next time around.

Here's a semi-frustrating, semi-funny one. After drying Luke off and putting on his little jammies, he promptly crawled right back into the bathtub full of water- fully dressed.

Jamie said...

I am just glad I am not the only one who goes through these things!!
I think they never stop testing us. How they test us changes. I just worry about how I am going to handle it. I am impressed, I do not know if I would have held my cool for as long a you did.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Wait until she sneaks out in the middle of the night, steals your car, drinks alcohol at a party, crashes the car and you have to pick her up at the police station. (This is what I see every night.) Well...maybe rice paper and cooking spray isn't TOO bad.

Sharalea said...

I am with Kristyn--what cool you have (i am so impressed & you had the entire conversation in spanish, too, right?) & thanks for sharing the stories to prep those of us who are running behind you in the race of parenthood.

AND for a support system in the "three kids under three" group-- talk to my MOM! :)

ALSO great to hear things are going great with baby boy--so exciting!

Pack of Robinsons said...

Joy- put a trophy on your Mom shelf! You won(one anyway)! (if you can find the shelf under the toys, chocolate syrup,and laundry). We all need that little place for those little victories! Jenny