Friday, October 19, 2007

F is for Full Plate

It seems when it rains it pours. I was in charge of our preschool/playgroup this week. We take turns each week with the theme being the next letter of the alphabet. I had the letter F. Which is for frog (we had frog races) and fruit, fish (gold), fig bars- for our snack, fabric (we decorated the letter F with different piece of fabric, each with a different FEEL. It is also for Fall- we made a fall tree by tracing our Feet and Fingers on fall colored paper. Those were just a few of the things we did.

I was also in charge of our Relief Society's Brunch (on the same day). We do it once a month were we get together and have lunch and just talk. It is really fun and very laid back. Woman of all ages (as well as a few people who aren't members) come and it is really fun to just chat. This year we are doing an international themed menu so I of course put together a Bolivian Menu. I was kind of nervous about it because many American missionaries that I knew did not like Bolivian food. So I choose something that I thought would be fairly safe and easy to make (not too many wierd ingredients). It turned out GREAT! Everyone really liked it. I am including the recipe below. It is REALLY spicy so careful on the red pepper. I maybe put a third of what the recipe called for and it was still really really SPICY. Allie and Jason loved it- too spicy for Luke.

I also had my spanish class this week as well as my glucose test for the pregnancy (both on the same day). And then it was way too cold for park day so we park day here at the house (yes, that is a HUGE mess to clean up but the kids have fun). I have been craving cinnamon rolls so we made Teri Cambells recipe. YUMMY!

Saisi (Spicy meat)
Ingredients:
1 pound cow meat (hip)

½ cup oil
1 cup green peas, peeled
2 cups white onion, finely chopped
1 cup tomato, peeled and finely chopped
½ cup ground spicy red pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano, crumbled
½ fresh parsley, finely chopped
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 spoonful salt
3 cups broth or cold water

To serve:
8 potatoes, peeled and cooked (boiled) separately

steamed rice
2 spoonfuls parsley, finely chopped

Preparation:
Cut the meat into very small pieces.
In a casserole combine the meat with all the other ingredients, including the broth or water.
Set to cook over high heat until it boils and later over low heat, for at least an hour or until everything is very well cooked. If the preparation dries a little, add broth or hot water. It must be very juicy.
Serve in a deep plate with one cooked potato, steamed rice, and the Saici on the side (not on top of the rice). Sprinkle with the chopped parsley on top.

15 comments:

Vic said...

Mmm, Bolivian food. That recipe sounds great. Did we have it at your pension one day in Potosí?

Full plate is right! It sounds like a crazy, but fantastic week. I hope you can rest this weekend. I'm excited to see you guys soon.

paynejandj said...

We might have. I had this dish a lot and as you know, most Bolivian food is spicy.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Joy- I can't see any words over the pink except the recipe. Am I missing something? Jenny

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Me too! I can only read the recipe.

paynejandj said...

It shouldn't be pink, it should be brown with pink lettering/writing. It did that to me today too for some strange reason. I had to reset it a couple of times to get the background right. It is like the layering of the blog page didn't finish layering. So try it again.

Jamie said...

Hey, I am still seeing pink too!! The recipe sounds yummy. I will give it a whirl when I am feeling brave. I always get caught up in the same ol same ol!!!

Wendy said...

Joy, fix your blog. For heaven's sakes, it's not like you have anything else to do.

Danell said...

Fun ideas for playgroup, Joy! I might have to borrow a few of those. :) Hope you're feeling great these days!

Danell said...

Hi Wendy! How are ya???

paynejandj said...

Like I have any idea how to fix the problem! :) Try again later!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Joy--go back to matiekay.blogspot.com

I guess she had some copyright issues with the layouts that she made, so they're not working. She explains it all on her blog. Bummer! Can you still see all of my graphics? Diamonds, etc?

Shirley Morris said...

Hey Joy! I highlighted the invisible text with my mouse and appeared in blue. It's a magic blog post!

Pack of Robinsons said...

still can't see it- I'll try highlighing it. Jenny

Pack of Robinsons said...

its like a Harry Potter Blog- only those that really want to see it can, like the room of necessity! I made cinnamon rolls myself today because I was craving them. Weird Huh? Jenny

Kristyn said...

These comments are hilarious. I too couldn't read it cuz of posting issues, but now that it's back up, ah, fun things you've got going on. And I'm extremely impressed with your creativity of the letter F! I'm just glad you didn't use anyswear words. That would have been bad.