Sunday, June 29, 2008

Random Thoughts

I have found out a few things about myself recently. I have been helping a friend with the remodel/construction of their home and I LOVE it!!! I love the sheet rocking, taping and mudding. LOVE IT. We got to scrape off the popcorn ceiling from the family room, hall and bedroom and that has to be my favorite part so far! But that is not all. Here is my confession: I am a zit picker/popper. I pick at the dry skin on my heals and my lips when chapped. That is so gross I know and maybe too much to share but there is a pattern to all of this that I am realizing. There is something about the "before and after" and the rough being made smooth. I just love it. The old cement around our toilet, the carpet with the tack board on the edge- loved chipping that off. LOVE it! There has got to be some Freudian reason behind all of this. I remember when I was a kid going to the ocean and seeing the creatures, sea stars and such, clinging to the rocks. I wanted to scrap them off so badly. I remember Dad telling me they were living creatures and so that wouldn't be a very nice thing to do. When I see barnacles on ships- I want to scrap them off. What is it?! I have really loved the construction and remodel work so much that I was sort of daydreaming about when the kids are all in school one day, getting a job with a construction crew. If you have any ceiling, tile, linoleum flooring, carpet, weeds (I LOVE to weed) you want removed- CALL ME!

I love Mondays too. The garbage man comes and the recycling man and I just like everything empty, ready to start anew. There may not to seem to be a connection to you but I see it. Again, it's something about that "before and after" thing. Luke loves it too but for another reason- the GARBAGE TRUCK! He can hear them driving through the neighborhood and we have to go watch out the window- until it gets to our street. Then we must go watch from the drive way. One Monday (a while back) we heard the garbage man (Carlos) coming and so I told Luke to run get his shoes. It was taking a while. I heard him shuffling down the hall toward the door when I realized what was taking so long. He had on Allie's shoes.

Allie has been taking swimming lessons. It is really two weeks of paid commitment to go swimming. Every day they begin the class by learning and repeating the safety rules such as no running, don't bring glass too a pool, make sure there is a lifeguard around etc. The most important is Rule #1- NEVER SWIM ALONE. Lifeguard: "Miss Allie, why should we never swim alone?" Allie (shouting back with enthusiasm): "Because it's boring with no friends!!!"

Allie was playing at some friends house the other day. They have two dogs who love to wrestle and play. And as dogs play they roll around and bite each other (since of course they have no opposable thumbs to grab with). Allie was a bit alarmed by this and asked why they were biting each other. My friend explained that that is how dogs play. They were wrestling. Allie told her "My dad and I like to play and wrestle. But I don't BITE him!"
Allie did this "do" all by herself.

12 comments:

marlenegetsmail said...

Good going, I love to have things nice. As Rex said, you always change things. Yes. I like to see what I can fix and make better. Its the before and after "syndrom." I don't like to do it for other people anymore, Its too much work and they need to learn to do their own stuff.LOve mom

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

Okay, when I have the money to remodel all that I want to here...you're welcome to have at it. There are also plenty of weeds around here.

But, now I wonder, when I happen to revisit my adolescence and end up with a zit on my face, are you just aching to pop it for me?

I love Allie's answer for why we should never swim alone! And, I'm glad to know she doesn't bite Jason. Isabel might if she wrestled with him though!

paynejandj said...

OK, for the record: My wife is super hot, insane, a good mother, out of her mind, and best of all a super person. Oh, did I mention she never shaved her legs the whole time she was in Bolivia? Ya, I learned that two Sundays ago when she shared it with the whole congregation in a talk about her mission - I guess it just slipped out and was not in her notes. Never knew that one. She thought none of the Elders knew - not so - they all knew. She wanted to be just like a Bolivian. I wonder if Bolivians are out of their minds and enjoy remodeling too? She has eaten rats and rattlesnakes and doesn't mind expired food. So if some incredibly beautiful woman ever says hello as she walks by with a sledge hammer, munching on an expired Kangaroo Rat and you feel like a better person for having the chat, it's probably Joy.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Jason-that's a great description of my sister! Loooove her! The "before and after" syndrome runs in the family! Jenny

Becky said...

Joy, you are one crazy cat, but we love you anyways.

Sharalea said...

i love allie's hair-do...she's a budding stylista! ;)
love also the extra comment by Jason--some things I never knew about Joy! also i love the renewal of things as well, cleaning out, taking out, de-cluttering. I find myself constantly reviewing our rooms to find a 'better way' to arrange or decorate.

The Miles Files said...

Fun post Joy! I am impressed that you like all of those things. I enjoy the before and after thing too. I just don't know how much I would love the home improvements. You rock! I love the description Jason. You are one lucky guy. Your kids are all so cute- don't you just love the funny/cute things they come up with?

Jamie said...

Hillarious comment from your fun husband! I love the after too, I just don't want to be the one doing the in-between most of the time!! I Love that pic of Allie.I answered yor question on my blog and then thought DUH? Why did I not come to your blog to answer? When is the Balloon Fiesta this year? I want to come and bring Layne this time?? Um do we have e-mail for these type of conversarions? OH well, I am here and it's done!

Jen and Joe. said...

Well, I guess the universe needed to be EVEN, because Joe DID shave his legs once (maybe twice?) on HIS mission.....

So there.

Balance.

LOVED this post, Joy.

Ilene said...

Joy-I know what you mean about the "before and after" and loving picking things off. I'm the same way. Now I just need to get excited about seeing my house in the "before and after" regular cleaning. You're quite a woman to go your whole mission without shaving. I couldn't have done that. Wow.

Erin said...

Joy, this post cracked me up. Thinking about the before and after thing, I bet you were so stoked to shave your legs after 18 months!

paynejandj said...

oh Erin... you have no idea!!!