Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sliding By

Things are progressing quite well! We gave Wesley some ibuprofen the day we came home from the hospital, just in case. He has never acted like he felt any pain so we have never given him anything since the first dose. For a day or so he would fuss to get down and play and then fuss because he couldn't crawl. It didn't take him long to figure it out. Now he slides along the floor. You can see the wear mark on the bottom of his cast. We thought of several excuses* to tell strangers when they asked what happened (thanks Keri for tipping us off to be prepared). Shark attack in Mexico, reaching into the garbage disposal, fixing the lawn mower. I have used the first two. By far the best is to tell them the truth.

Stranger: Oh what a cute little a boy and what a big cast! What happened?!
Me: He got his thumb cut off.
Stranger: (quite shocked) Whoa. How?!
Me: A scalpel I guess. Whatever it is that surgeons use.
Stranger: (more shock and great confusion)... um... what?
Me: (laughing to myself at the hilarious situation of putting some stranger in an awkward position. I know... so funny.) He was born with two thumbs and they removed one.
Stranger: (why did I ever open my mouth) Oh that's nice.

I don't have a great video of him doing his slide. This was after the first day or two and the only reason he is fussy is because he wanted the camera (which is why it is so hard to get a good video clip of the slide). The clip below is low resolution on purpose so it would actually upload but you'll get the idea.


Jason: Here are a few pics for you (Jay, I thought you might want to see a photo of Luke driving his tractor, the little farmer boy who cultivated your front yard up in Logan during the weddings):

*Some of you are asking yourselves how Vic and I could possibly be related. : )

10 comments:

Danell said...

Oh man- I hadn't caught up in a while. Just seeing the last three posts now. Poor little Wesley. I'm glad he's doing well!!!

Krista Payne said...

Love the slide and even more the punch Wes is carrying. Very clever.

Anonymous said...

Oh Wes is so cute! I cant wait to see him!

Vic said...

Yes its true, I love the "excuses" or stories for why he has a cast.... What else can I say?

Unknown said...

You should tell people, "If you think this is bad, you should see the other guy!" I'm so glad he's doing well; love the slide!

Sharalea said...

wow. what a cutie, even with a cast! Glad to see you guys are having fun & he is doing well.

Kristina Johnson said...

I'm glad to read that Wesley is doing well. You and your children are beautiful!!! It was fun to read your blog and catch up on you guys. Take care! Love you!

Erin said...

Wesley's right arm is going to be pretty strong by the time he gets the cast off. I like the excuses...I laughed out loud and had to read it to Kelly.

marlenegetsmail said...

I had to tell Kathi at work about his slide. He moves along at a good clip. I thought he was quite ingenious to use it that way. Love MOm

D.B. said...

The convo w/ the stranger is great, nice slide kind of like a tripod dog. Home his hand doesn't get all moldy in there or something without any air. When does that come off?