Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Little on Allie


Tuesday was the Spring Sports Assembly at the high school where Allie attends preschool. For part of the assembly they invited the preschoolers to do a dance- the "Cha Cha Slide". The kids did great! We expected some of the kids would not go out, some would go out to the center of the gym and just stand there and then some would actually dance. Well all minus 2 kids (who stayed in the bleachers) danced! It was so fun to watch them and the hundereds of high school kids went crazy cheering and clapping! I sat in the bleachers with Wesley and Luke, video taping with all the other moms, cheering with all the other "teenages" (as Allie calls them) and silently crying with tears running down my cheeks. Wow, I never thought I was going to be that mom! I was so excited and proud of her and it was so fun to see her out there dancing. When I asked her later about how she felt, if she was nervous or what, she said "I was scared but I was brave". Yes, doing something even though you are scared is very brave.

Although fear has nothing to do with it I have had a hard time playing Barbies with Allie. My Barbie doll never seems to do the right thing or say the right thing. Allie very clearly and quickly lets me know. You think by now she would rather play with someone else.

Allie has really been attracted to jewelry lately. Earrings in particular. She put stickers on her ear lobes and wore them to preschool the other day (and they actually stayed on the entire day)! We were talking about it in the car. She was asking about when should could get her ears pierced. I said that Jason and I would have to discuss it and that who knows, maybe when she turns 8. Allie responded "Let's make it 6". She's quick.

And if you didn't know, her favorite color is light blue. During Christmas, while playing in the garage at Kelly and Erin's house, we played the colors game. It is one we used to play in the swimming pool growing up. The person who is it has their back turned to everyone else and begins to call out colors. When your color is called you have to try to make it to the other side of the room (or pool) either really fast or stealthily. We limited the colors to the basics- red, orange, yellow, green, purple, pink, brown and black. When it was Allie's turn she turned her back to us and yelled out "sparkly blue". We reminded her the ones from which she could choose. She turned around again and the next color she called out "Light blue"!

And speaking of Christmas, I wrote this down because it was so funny and I did not want to forget it. This was the conversation overheard between Reed and Grandma Payne.

Reed: Grandma, why are you so shaky?
Grandma: I am old and sometimes old people shake.
Reed: Oh. Is grandpa new?

10 comments:

Sharalea said...

wow! Allie IS brave. I would have been one sitting on the bleachers (or hiding behind my mother, or hiding in her car, or sitting at home because I was to afraid to even COME that day!!). I'm so proud of her!!

AND, I love the negotiation skills she's got goin' on.

I did the same thing. I even had a 'contract' written up that said at what ages I would be permitted to use which make up items, etc. I wanted Mom & Dad's signature to make sure it really would happen according to my ideal schedule!! hahaha

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the video of allie's dance!

paynejandj said...

The video is so bad because Allie ended up on the other side of the gym from where I was seated. You can barely see her. I could see her because I know what she was wearing and we took the video so Jason could see it but it really is not that fun to watch if you aren't her parent. You can google/youtube the song and dance and get a feel for what they did. We watched one version on Youtube. It was ok. Allie's preschool class was better. And their high school teachers (some of them) were out there with the little kids too so that helped.

Ilene said...

Allie is a quick one, like you said. That's awesome. You probably shouldn't tell her what your friend said about the 'contract' because I'll bet she'd make one up for you too! That's awesome. What a fun thing for the preschoolers to dance at an assembly!

I LOVE the conversation between Reed and Grandma Payne. Hilarious. I burst out laughing out loud. Kids are so funny!

Ranch Mom said...

Joy, I had completely forgotten about that conversation with Reed, I'm so glad that you remembered and put it on your blog- for posterity :-) Mom

Linda said...

OK, so Joy and Jason, WISE UP! if you feel you will be happy to let her get her ears pierced at age 8, you better be saying age 12! You are going to need some wiggle room with this one I think!

Or , IF YOU say 8, and she says how about 6, you come back with, UM , then AGE 10. That is actually more how we did it! Then they go ahead and agree you were being pretty nice the first time. Which you will be.

Shara pretty much stayed on schedule. I totally remember that poster board with all our agreements for blush, lipgloss, mascara, ear piercing!

Your post brought back lots of fun memories! Kids have no idea how significant some of the little things they do are to us!

D.B. said...

Cute girl!

The Miles Files said...

Sweet little Allie. I know what you are saying when you felt so proud. She IS brave to go out there. Aren't you glad that she is confident enough to do it. I remember wanting my ears pierced SO bad. At first my Dad said 18. Then I got a really short haircut and he asked if I wanted to get them pierced. So, it ended up being 14. I was glad. Thanks for posting that little story about Reed. Do you care if I paste it onto my blog so I don't forget it?

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

Love the Reed conversation. Speaking of Reed, I continue to be amazed by the names that are duplicated between your family and mine.

lcpayne said...

I love Reed's shaky hands comment. I guess I'm not that new either!