Monday, July 21, 2008

Vinegaroon

This is a vinegaroon. Their defense mechanism is they spray something that smells like vinegar with their long whipping tail. EXACTLY like vinegar. And this is what greeted me when I came home from "visiting teaching" the other week (see "The Breakup"). It was right above the front door. Long ago the Anasazi Indians believed that if you returned from your travels and found a vinegaroon in your path at home it was a sign of good fortune and safe keeping. Vinegar preserves things and so your family and possessions would also be well "preserved."
Ok I just totally made that up. For me to come home and be greeted by this LARGE beast... um... I was not too excited about it. And I was not about to walk through the front door and under him waiting to pounce on me. They are actually very docile. They eat bugs and will leave you alone. Unless of course you are trying to catch it and get it out of your bathroom. Then they will spray you with their vinegar. And how do I know this? The first time I ever saw one of these horrifying creatures I thought it was a huge black scorpion (a very common mistake made by most people). I had never heard of a vinegaroon before. I was SCREAMING for Jason to come save me. He came skipping down the hall pretending to scream like a girl- making fun of me. I was standing on top of the toilet (I think on top of the tank itself if I remember) and when Jason came into the bathroom.. the screaming like a girl was no longer an act! Oh the memories. It makes me laugh EVERY time I think about it. It was so worth sharing my bathroom with a vinegaroon to see Jason scream and jump like he did that night.

Here is my knight in shining armour's photos with the sharpie for scale. The vinegaroon was on the stuccoed wall right above our front door. We had to hold up the marker and Jason had to really reach up close to him to get the shots just right. Yes, we have both gotten braver since our first meeting that night in the bathroom.

15 comments:

paynejandj said...

For the record- I thought Joy was screaming about a spider. I was so close to stepping on the thing that I decided to yell for real.

By the way, the top photo is from the web. We are not crazy enough to actually hold one.

-Jason

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Just a little bit scary. I miss you guys.

Jen and Joe. said...

ew ew ew. FINALLY. Something I can put in Boston's favor.

In regard to said vinegaroon:

Boston 1
Albuquerque 0

Sharalea said...

yuck-o
i agree. boston gets points for not having these.
so does kentucky.
we have lots of bugs. LOTS. but not those. ew ew ew.

Linda said...

OH good , I am kind of relieved that wasn't you holding it...well, on the other hand, I am kind of disappointed. I have spider and snake nightmares and I do NOT need to add
VinegarOONS. I actually adore the name. VinegarGOONS! Wierd Wierd Wierd. and scary. OH MY!

Pack of Robinsons said...

You might have to turn in your man card for that one, Jason. We'll give it back in time...

Ilene said...

Joy, you had me going with your Anasazi story. I thought, "Wow, only Joy would know that about that bug and be excited to see it at her home. She sure learned a lot as a trail walker." Still, I am amazed that you know what that bug is. I hope I never see one--especially in my home.

lcpayne said...

I was quite impressed when I though one of you was holding it. I don't like to touch things that aren't mammals. Come to think of it, I avoid touching most mammals too...

Krista Payne said...

I first thought you crazy for holding one, but I'm glad you didn't. Joy, that is a good story about the Anasazi you had me going.

Erin said...

I totally believed the Anasazi thing too, and I thought that was Joy holding it in the first picture except I thought the hands didn't look like Joy. What a crazy-looking bug. I have never heard of a Vinegaroon before. Now I will keep my eyes peeled next time I'm in ABQ.

Jamie said...

UMMM... do they come out in October? (JK), They sure are UGLY!!!!

Anonymous said...

gross. I want to smash it.

Lindsay said...

Joy, I hear there is a similar legend about seeing a roadrunner on your wedding day...

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

"Decided" to yell for real? I don't buy it! I like the way Joy tells it better.

The guy who resurfaced our floors before we moved in there warned me about them. He said they look like Scorpians but they stink something awful if you step on them. He told me they were harmless. I guess I should have passed the favor on to you guys when you moved in, rather than leaving it for a surprise. I still wasn't convinced that it wasn't a scorpian the first time I saw one. In the two years we were there, I found two. One right under the end table in the living room. I don't recall where I found the other one.

For me, their level on the creepy scale pales in comparision to centipedes, which I also saw two of on Embudito. Well, I saw one, and Rebekah saw the other when she was babysitting one night. Mark found that one and killed it later.

On this side of the mountain, we have tons of centipedes, though this year has been light...thankfully. I haven't seen any viegaroons on this side of the mountain though.

D.B. said...

chalk that up to WY too, although this wknd we did see some huge bug in Star Valley, but it was late and I never got a pic