Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hurricane Dolly

Hurricane Dolly hit TX (and other areas) with a lot of force. It was later downgraded to a Tropical Storm. As it continued on into southern NM it became Severe Weather. As it reached the Sandias with clouds and sprinkles it was downgraded to a couple of cold kids who wanted a snack. That might have been it's fiercest point.

We took the Tram to the top of the Sandias for a little adventure this morning. It was chillier than we had expected but not unbearable. Really what is was was BEAUTIFUL. There where so many pretty wild flowers and the rain has made everything so green. What a beautiful planet the Lord has given to us.
Jason stuck his hand out the Tram car window to take a shot of this canyon. We are about 1000 feet off the ground. Anyone have a parachute?Here we are eating our snack and huddling to stay warm. Poor Dad... alone in the cold so he could take our picture.

Hey lady... you smuggling something?
...oh... it's a baby!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

It really is green in those pictures--almost looks like the NW coast.

Anonymous said...

what a fun day. And such cute kids. I'm glad to see the foot shot in there. I dont think I've seen one of those in a while.

lcpayne said...

I like the progressive renaming of Hurricane Dolly as it traveled north. The "Extreme Weather Teams" in El Paso had a field day predicting the storms. Any time there's anything other than wind they go nuts. It's good to see that the northern part of the state got some wet stuff too.

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

Well, on our side of the mountain at the worst of the storm yesterday there were a couple of times when our family room would have flooded (like it did two years ago) if Mark hadn't build a row of three trench and burm systems on the hillside above the house. His system is working! A few times yesterday it was diverting enough water around the house that there was a white water river running past us (shallow, but it really was white water) as the kids and I watched out the window.

I love the pictures from the tram!

Ilene said...

That looks beautiful. The picture from strait above the trees is cool. Was that the old Sony?

Isn't it nice to feel cold weather in the middle of summer?

Pack of Robinsons said...

I love nature! Someday I'll get to ride that tram of yours too! Jenny

Kristyn said...

Looks like so much fun! I love little day outings like that. I always thought the name Dolly was so ironic - they named a powerful hurricane after a rag doll. Funny. I love when weather makes everything green. I don't think I appreciated the Provo canyon nearly as much as I should have. Living in the desert has definitely taught me that!

Linda said...

I am also hoping deeply that that shot of a foot hanging over the cliff is really just a trick of your cheap lens. That really you were several feet or YARDS away from the edge.
Because even from this distance, I felt the urge to talk you away from the edge. I think that started when I took my kids to the grand canyon.
Just last week someone fell 20 feet to his death from a ledge at our nearby state park. JASON! BACK AWAY FROM THE EDGE! please. thank you. Because I like you alot.

paynejandj said...

Aunt Linda: The foot shot is at the end of a little 15' cliff, but the edge is an outcropping and I just leaned my foot against it. The picture does make it look like I am standing on the edge... We just took our little point and shoot camera, it has a wide angle lens that makes it seem like it is a big cliff...