Monday, September 8, 2008

Looking For a Shoulder to Cry On

Please do not mistake this for patting my own back but many people seem amazed that I choose to give birth naturally and say things like "Wow- you must be so tough" followed by comments on pain tolerance. Folks, that has little to do with it. And I am not against medicine. In fact, in the last three days I have had cough syrup, Benadryl, Musinex, Emergen-C (not really medicine exactly but stay with my here) Zicam, Tylenol PM, whatever that nasal spray stuff is, throat spray (the numbing kind) and lots of herbal tea. And nothing works! Isn't the FDA supposed to check these things out?! It is false advertising if nothing else. I am MISERABLE and sick and my throat hurts and I just want to lay on the couch while the kids tear the house apart. I am a wimp ok! I am telling you, natural birth is very painful but at least you can work with the pain- it has a purpose, you get breaks in between contractions, you can even SLEEP while laboring and at the moment that that sweet precious baby- a whole other human being- leaves your body to start it's own life apart from you the pain is totally gone. It is such an AMAZING HIGH! And it's all over in a number of hours. This... what I am currently suffering through... feels endless. There are no breaks, I can't breath through my nose (which as you know affects tastes), my head aches, my neck is sore, my mouth dries out, the skin around my nostrils has been completely removed, and my throat is KILLING me! Oh the aches and pains. And there is no cute little baby to hold and cuddle at the end. Boohoohoo. Aren't you so thrilled to have wasted 30 seconds of your lift to hear (or read) me whine?! And how are you feeling today?

9 comments:

marlenegetsmail said...

Oh, she looks so cute. I bet she will like it, if she doesn't have anymore accidents. Is the teacher a good one? Is it in the public or private school?
I wish I was there to take care of you Joy. I thinks summer colds are the worst. Take care of her Jason. LOve MOm

Krista Payne said...

Hope you get better Joy

Ranch Mom said...

We're so sorry that you're sick Joy!! I wish I was there to help you out. Maybe the total exhaustion caused by the last couple of weeks just did you in. Hope you are feeling better today!

Love, Pat

Sharalea said...

Hope you are feeling better!

I hate colds. I tend to have them for 2 weeks & it's miserable. I haven't yet been sick while doing this MOM thing but I was just telling Trevor the other day that I dread it.

Sending chicken-noodle-soup-thoughts your way!

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I'm so sorry you're sick, joy. That's the major pits. In all the blessings Vic and I have received since Lucy passed away, (I HATE THAT I HAVE TO SAY THAT SOMETIMES!) they all have blessed us with good health. And so far, so good. I think if you add up the past ten weeks of pregnancy, I've had a total of maybe 6 hours that I felt nauseous. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, rather, that having good health for us right now is such a blessing, one more thing that we don't have to deal with...and that NOT having good health for you with three children...I do feel for you and I'm so sorry! ESPECIALLY not being able to breathe through your nose. That is the WORST! I'd rather lose a toe or something. Or a thumb. :)

Lindsay said...

One of the hardest things about it is that you still have to be the mom when you really just want to lie down and sleep for four hours. I hope you feel better soon, Joy.

Vic said...

I think the trials of the common cold and other such ailments are under estimated. I wish we lived close by, we'd take the kids and play so much they'd want you to get sick or at least fake it more often. You're a great mom Joy. We love you.

Anonymous said...

feeling super actually, thanks for asking! Get well soon!

D.B. said...

i recommend echinecea, garlic, multivitamins, naked fruit juice, lots of sleep, ben & jerry's, fluids and maybe alkaseltzer cold, chase that with a brownie, and a movie LOL that will either make you feel better or appreciate how you use to feel before eating all that ;)