Friday, October 16, 2009

Eat Your Heart Out Major Payne


While Allie was at school today, Joy brought the boys down and we got to go look at all of the airplanes at the Kirland Air Force Base Aero Club. They hosted a visitor barbecue so we had a great free lunch as well. I have loved aviation my whole life and if I could ever manage to keep my lunch down I would consider earning a pilot's licence. As a Sandian, I can sneak into the Aero Club without being a member of the Air Force and earn a licence for about 3/4 of the going market rate.

http://www.kirtlandflightcenter.org/

For those that don't know, Grandpa Payne was a private pilot in the 70s when flying was more affordable. He was also a Major Payne in the Civil Air Patrol while we lived in Farmington. He was able to provide a needed service and get some flying hours in too.


The photo above shows Luke sitting in a T-41, a version of the Cessna 172 that the company sold to the Air Force with a larger engine for use at the Air Force Academy where the altitude rendered a normal 172 underpowered. If I learned to fly at the Aero Club it would be in a T-41 shown in the two photos above. Looks like a million dollars doesn't it?

Sitting in a 182, Aero Club Beech Baron below...
Shara: Tell Trevor that I have informed Joy we will come visit you and drag Trevor back to Oshkosh. Just so you know...
The aircraft above is a brand new Cessna 182 I assume that belongs to the Civil Air Patrol. It was super nice and looked brand new with a glass cockpit (see below). It was my fine pleasure to accompany my dad on one real CAP "mission." We got the big call one evening that an ELT (Emergency Locator Transmitter) had gone off in the vicinity of the Farmington airport and was picked up by passing satellites. All those free flying hours needed to be cashed in I guess. I was excited to go with my dad and we used a receiver with a big Yagi antenna to hunt the ELT down at the airport. Unfortunately it was difficult to find with all the hangers bouncing the signal around. The FAA guys grew very impatient, I think I grew cold or tired and wound up home if I remember right. The transmitter was found in an old hanger at the end of the airport. An elderly man bumped his head against his ELT while working on his airplane and set it off. I don't remember if I was cranky or excited around my dad but I do remember enjoying spending the time together.

All of the CAP aircraft seemed to be as nice as the Aero Club planes were ratty.

5 comments:

Ranch Mom said...

I'm proud to be the first to comment on this post. WAY TO GO, JASON. It was a very interesting post to me. I enjoyed being in Civil Air Patrol and flying. I would like to fly now but it is a little expensive and beside that my eyes probably aren't good enough now to get past a physical exam.

It looked like Luke and Wesley were having fun right along with their dad. I think that was one of the things I used to like to do, take you boys to the airport and look at airplanes. It must be something in our genes.

Love

Dad

Lindsay said...

Aiiirrrport...aiirrrport...aiirport...

Erin said...

Fun! "uppa-die!"

Sharalea said...

This post was great! Loved the pics & the info.

AND THE SHOUT OUT! I feel super special now!! You should know that you are MORE THAN WELCOME to come over to Wisconsin ANY TIME. We will probably be around for another year, so book your visit before it's too late!! :)

AND--you won't have to drag Trevor to Oshkosh. He needs an excuse to go back! :)

((Besides...there are some outlet stores there that the girlies could check out if we all went together...))

Pilot's License: At the discounted rate, you should do it!! Then you & Trevor could co-own a plane & fly it back and forth from wherever we both live. eh? Eh?

Krista Payne said...

This was very educational for me. Don't know much about the planes, but I hear Taylor talk about them all the time. Nice to see a picture of what we're talking about.