Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Missing the Bus




Do you remember back in school when you did not have enough time to study for a test or you forgot altogether? And then you went to class and the test was postponed? It was if the heavens were smiling down on you and maybe winking too. What a relief.

One of the funnest parts of our day is walking to the bus stop in the morning and afternoon to drop off Allie and then pick her up again. The boys love it and there is always a contest of who can see the bus coming down the street first. The bus driver explained to me that first day that because Allie is in kindergarten there must be someone there to meet her at the stop or they will not let her get off the bus. If that happens he drives her back to the school and the office calls. "Of course", he added "that has never happened." Today while organizing the closet (hooray I have a closet again!) and hanging out the laundry to dry and playing with Wesley while Luke slept, I happened to look at the clock. It was 4:08pm. The bus comes at 3:49pm. Aaaah!!! I ran outside to see if, by chance, she was at the corner and then back in and then not knowing what else to do, I sheepishly called the school to ask if Allie was there. Before I could say anything more than I was Allie's mother the secretary went into her apology and explanation about a substitute bus driver getting lost, going the wrong way, that they had finally left the school at 4:05pm, and they were so sorry but she should be there soon.

Whew.

*Photos taken by Jason a couple of weeks ago.

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love it when things work out!
Later, do you ever find yourself dreaming about all the ways it possibly might not have worked out? Yeah, neither do I. Just wondering.

Cute pictures too.

Ilene said...

Awesome story! Yeah!!! I love stories like that. Thanks for sharing it.

Erin said...

Whew! Awesome luck! I love the photos.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Whew! I was late for Jack once in Kindergarden, on his BIRTHDAY! I went to the school where the driver had taken him back and there he was. He only cried a little. I was late on his birthday in first grade, trying to get cupcakes out of the oven and from then on we've made it a tradition. This year I waited around the corner from his stop so it looked like I was late and then came out and surprised him! Such is our lives!

The Miles Files said...

That story made me smile. When you realize you're late, you panic. That is great that no one ever knew. :) I love the pictures. Especially the one of you and Allie. You look so cute Joy. I have noticed such nice pictures of you on the blogs lately. How are you guys? I need to call someday in my free time :) Or if you have any, give me a ring. Talk to you at Christmas... Just kidding! We need to come for balloon Fiesta some day. I have never been, but it looks like so much fun.

D.B. said...

Being a substitute bus driver stinks, trust me, I know. Glad if worked our for you though.