Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Construction Update and TMI

Well, things are not all that different. So I am including a few shots (that you really did not want to see) of how we are living. Everything in our life is in upheaval. It is so hard to not have a routine with little ones. Trying to have a routine with life right now is not working so well. But... we keep trying.

The piles of clean (on the bed) and dirty laundry. It is so hard to wash clothes while trying to walk through dirty plastic doorways and over children barriers. We had not hot water for a couple of days too. The kids got to take a bath at the neighbors house a couple of nights ago. I hate to have clean laundry when everything feels so dirty and grimmy. Ugh.

This is the storage room. You want to borrow a measuring cup you say? Hmmm... give me just one second here...Dishes in the bathtub... YUCK. This is why no one is invited over to eat right now.
Everything crammed into the living room.
Our make shift kitchen.
The real family room and kitchen area are down to the studs... still. The news is we passed the inspection for the structural changes, but not without a little drama. We should be done with the electrical by Saturday and then that can be inspected (that was part of the drama- the electrical is supposed to be inspected first). The gas and water are almost completely done. We just need to run the line over for the dishwasher. So hopefully by next weekish we can be sheet rocking. Hooray. The dust and dirt and danger (nails, saws, electrical lines) and small kids don't mix well. I keep thinking about Erin. She said she had a few freak out moments during their remodel. Jenny, I suppose you had some as well. Kristyn, what about you? And mom, yes, I remember your stress. Let me think... who else has lived in a construction site? Well... my moments have been pretty ugly. But aside from the madness of it all, we are enjoying the journey. We feel very thankful and blessed to be able to do this for our next home buyer (no, we have no plans to move ever but wouldn't it be perfectly ironic if we did).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

so do you have a crew in there working on it all day? when is the expected finish day?

Ranch Mom said...

I'm glad that you sent some pictures and will have them on your blog so you can look back and remember the process. The end result will be great and worth all the stress you're going through now. When summer comes you'll be finished and able to enjoy the great weather and relax in your new rooms. We wish we could be there to help out somehow.
Lots of Love, MOM Payne

Lindsay said...

It is fun to see the changes going on and the way you are making it all work. You guys are good sports. (I'll bet you are glad to not have carpet in your new "kitchen" right now.) Just think how enormous your house will feel when you have the two extra rooms back.

Becky said...

Wow!! You're a trooper Joy. I think I would be yelling MOTEL ROOM or KITCHENETTE, even better. Probably, not really.

A Bunch of Paynes said...

I remember my parents tearing apart our kitchen right before my brother's eagle court of honor. My sister and her two kids came down for the court of honor and ended up leaving right afterwards because our house was so crazy and she couldn't handle not having a sink. Then there was the time my mom knocked a hole in the kitchen wall where she wanted a window. My dad was on a work trip at the time, came home, and had to put the window in because there was a huge HOLE in the wall! It will be absolutely beautiful when it's done, I'm sure.

Erin said...

Joy, hang in there!!! It will all be worth it when it's done. I'm glad you're posting progress pics. Can't wait to see the finished rooms.

marlenegetsmail said...

Joy, you need to send the kids up. Its much to dangerous for them there. I'll take care of them until the end of the summer. Hang in there Joy. Love Mom

Linda said...

um, Joy, take your mom up on that before she changes her mind and deletes that post! she said TILL THE END OF THE SUMMER...run, JOY, run!
by the way, Sam is here! yes, he IS!

Ilene said...

Hey, I have a meeting in Alb for a couple days next week, can I come and stay?

Really, it sounds like you are making good progress!

J

Pack of Robinsons said...

My heart aches for you! Are you sick of fast food or have you avoided that? Jenny

kellklan said...

I remember the days.....dishes in the tub, paper plates for months, microwave meals, grilling, crock pot, and isn't it amazing what you can put together in an electric skillet. If you need some sympathy I will give it freely. We had a long 6 months of remodeling our kitchen,dining room and living room area. Oh well, like you said it sure helped is selling our house to the future buyers. (we hadn't planned on moving either) Good Luck!

Sharalea said...

You guys are amazing. AMAZING. Good job making it all work & taking pics to remember it all. SOMEDAY (not too far!) it will all be a MEMORY! And you will have beautiful results. Can't wait for more updates, good luck with the details!!