Sunday, April 19, 2009

Happy Birthday Luke

The cake...
The three year old...

And oh the excitement for dirt!
If you have seen Luke in the last week, then you have already heard about his dump truck birthday cake. With "dirt" in the back. He was pretty excited about it, so much so that he keeps talking about it. Can you just guess how that would make his mother feel? Never mind that the front axle slid out the wrong way or that it had a rear-ender with Wesley. Of course there is nothing professional about it. I can't help but smile to see him so happy.
One of the sweetest gifts that he got was a picture Allie drew for him. I love it! It is so cute!!! She put it in a gift bag for him to open up and color. It is a race at night (those are stars). I really really love all of Allie's artwork. She doesn't draw stick people (all though this picture might look a little like it) and she is really talented. The first car is only half there because it has already driven out of view. Maybe that is normal for a 5 year old but I was really impressed that she got that concept.
He was also so excited about his Thomas the Train stuff. Thanks again Maria (who got them for $1 at Savers).

16 comments:

The Miles Files said...

Great cake Joy. Kids don't care if they aren't perfect. What a big boy. I was surprised how much he had grown up since we saw him at Christmas. It was so fun to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

great pictures. I think its really cool that you make such cool cakes for them. Good job.

Krista Payne said...

That's an awesome cake. I love the dirt as well. Very creative~

Pack of Robinsons said...

All this with all the kitchen mayhem?! You're the Mom!

maureen said...

Joy, from a kindergarten teacher - 5 and 6 yr. olds are STILL drawing stick figures and most wouldn't even think of drawing only half a car (because the rest has already driven out of the picture). She's brilliant!

maureen said...

OH ....and the cake is great!

lcpayne said...

I love the picture of the hand lighting the candle with Luke's look of anticipation in the background.

Candice said...

Cubbie LOVED your cake! A nummy truck, what could be better? So cute!

Erin said...

I love the cake, and Luke's cute little face full of excitement. Allie's picture is great.

Sharalea said...

It's awesome to see the cake that I heard so much about on Saturday night! AWESOME cake skills, JOY!

--and it was amazing to see you & your adorable family, it was a highlight of my trip!

Kristyn said...

How did I miss this post when I saw your kitchen remodel??? So weird. Cool cake Mama P! We should get together and swap cake ideas in the future - our kids are like two peas in a pod!

Becky said...

Luke's excitement is inspiring me to get more into birthdays and holidays. Too have FUN!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful job, Joy, on both the cake and kids! I'm a slouch and ordered Katie's princess cake through Smith's. Now I've got a guilt trip going seeing your masterpieces (first Wesley's thumb cake and now this). Thanks a lot! Happy birthday, sweet Luke! And Allie's work is incredible! Very impressed.

paynejandj said...

For the record... Luke's cake was the very last thing that I baked in that old oven. It was a great way to part.

Ilene said...

Happy b-day Luke! This was a really fun blog to read, thanks. Luke is sure a cute kid!

Jay

Linda said...

I love that your cake wasn't professional but it was Momessional!
I could see the love all over it...those creations , are a big effort, and it looked GREAT TO ME!