Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Fathers and Sons Outing

Luke and I have been looking forward to our Father's and Sons outing for quite a while. What a difference a year makes. Here he was last year:

The campout this year was at the Odd Fellows campground near Manzano, NM about an hour away from town. We stopped by some lady's hot dog stand on the side of the road. She had only made $15 that day, and we only had a dollar more to give her. I think my hot dog was swimming around in her stand for quite a few days judging by the way I felt after eating it. Luke didn't have any trouble working his way through his.

So you are wondering about Wesley? Well, he stayed home with mom- maybe next year. I was the only dad there with a boy in diapers. They all told me they would not bring their boys until they were potty trained. So far as I am concerned, I would rather have diapers than accidents, but that is just me.

"Lukie" was most excited about sleeping in "sleeking bags." This whole week I asked him what we should bring and that was his first answer. We set up our tent and put the sleeking bags inside about 6PM or so. He was a little put off when I told him it wasn't time for bed yet.
He ran around and played quite a bit more than last year; then again it was so much warmer this time. We had cobbler after the Bishop spoke then finally hit the hay around 9:30. We played finger puppets on the roof of the tent with a flashlight until I finally fell asleep. Who knows when he did. I have to say, it was one of the best and longest nights sleep I have had in quite a while.

Allie remembers camping at this same campsite with me before turning three, so hopefully Luke will remember this trip. (I asked her about it this week and she told me we didn't have a truck then, but drove in a car). She freaks me out sometimes, I can't remember my own birthday.

Sorry no more pictures, Luke got tired of the camera very quickly so I just put it away and got to focus on camping with my little boy.

6 comments:

Ilene said...

It looks like he had fun! Warmer temperatures camping makes all the difference, don't you think? I think our trip to Yosemite helped Andrew on the campout here with Jay. Another toddler who went and has never been camping didn't do well at all--I guess he cried all night.

Luke is a cute! Great pictures too.

Erin said...

Little Lukie is a cutie. He does look like he had a lot more fun this year.

Ranch Mom said...

Maybe Luke and Wesley can have a campout at home with "sleeking bags" on the living room floor! Fun......
MOM

Ranch Mom said...

I remember taking boys in diapers. And, we had a lot of fun. I don't know how many father and sons you can remember but I always looked forward to them.

Dad

marlenegetsmail said...

Oh, Jason, what a great Dad you are. Thanks for sharing. Mom

Lindsay said...

Looks like a fun time. Your campsite looked comfy with all that grass. Our ward hasn't had a fathers and sons yet...we might have to have our own.