Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Big Reveal

Now.... the moment you all have been waiting for....














Ta-Da!

OK, just kidding - here is our bathroom! Please tell me you were not expecting the kitchen.
I love my little bench in the shower. It is so great for shaving legs. I really like the double towel rack and the little nook for shampoo, soap, razor, etc.
Our favorite feature of the newly remodeled bathroom is the glass block window in the shower. Jason designed it. We love it! It is so nice to shower in the morning and to have that natural light. We have always had a skylight in the bathroom but Jason says the window makes him feel like he is outside.
The mirror was what was holding up the photos. The bathroom has been done since last year we just were waiting on getting the mirror framed. The cabinets are a deep rich brown with a hint of red (this fish eye lens always makes the colors come out weird). We have a vessel sink as well.
I really like the floor- pebbles! Jason liked them too until we installed them. He decided they bug his tender feet. So now he wears flip flops in the shower. Or just uses the kids shower.
In this shot you can see how I decided to use the previously unused space that was just wall before. I made a little skinny built in shelf. Let me repeat that- I JOY made with my own hands a little built in shelf. I love it! You will never have to worry about running out of toilet paper when you visit us and use our bathroom. No sirree. It becomes obvious the toilet paper is running low before you ever make that unfortunate discovery. Clean towels are always right there and I have a place to hide my fingernail polish and other little things. I love it! Now when you come, just don't look too closely at the craftsmanship. I am new at this.

In case you wanted a closer look at the floor.... thank you Luke. I have decided he either cannot hear me, doesn't understand, or really doesn't care.
It did come out. We are buying stock in Magic Eraser by the way.

19 comments:

Ilene said...

We are very impressed! That must have taken a ton of work. Are those real pebbles? We've never seen those before. The first bathroom looks like a high dollar, truck stop, chinese restaurant bathroom. Where did it really come from?

Ranch Mom said...

The bathroom looks great, now the question is--did the inspector come on Wed, and did he pass you off on the gas lines??? MOM

Danell said...

WOW! That is so beautiful! You did an amazing job. Makes me want to remodel ours.... Looks just like a spa.

Becky said...

You are really talented Joy!! If we remodel our bathroom, we know who to call.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

It is GORGEOUS and I'm jealous!

Lindsay said...

Pretty! Again, I love the shelves. And the pebbles on the floor look like a riverbed.

(I think tender feet are linked to the same genes as not being able to touch toes.)

Jamie said...

Nice trick..... I was going to be impressed if the kitchen and family room were done. But then I thought living in a construction mess is never fun and maybe REALLY motivating. I LOVE your bathroom and I am sure I will love the next big reveal too!!

We have stock in the Magic Eraser company:) I highly recomend the investment. It has been worth it at our house. He hears you, mine do to, the temptation is just to much for the small ones sometimes. Dang It!!!

marlenegetsmail said...

Wow Joy, I am so proud of you. It looks well thought out. Do you like you sink? I can't wait to try it. MOM

Erin said...

Nice job! I especially like the block window. I like the tile on the bathroom floor too; I want a close-up shot of that. The little shelf you made in that unused space is quite ingenious. The whole finished project is great; I am impressed!

Krista Payne said...

We love the new bathroom! The pebbles are so cool. I never would of thought of that. Were they on the floor too or just the shower floor?

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I haven't been able to stop thinking about what an incredible job you guys did on this bathroom. The sink is my favorite. And I love it that the tiles mean that you can always have a litle Xelha (sp?) with you at home.

I'm so impressed. I miss you guys.

Linda said...

Your bathroom looks like a SPA! The pebbles are awesome but I would probably feel like Jason. Frankly, that just means you get it more to yourself, Joy!

The Miles Files said...

That looks so nice you guys. How sad that your feet can't enjoy it Jason. I do think it is a genetic Payne flaw. Unfortunately. It looks so relaxing and beautiful. Way to go. The after is so worth it. It will be that way with the kitchen /family room too. Hang in there.

Pack of Robinsons said...

I was expecting the kitchen at first... I was blown away amazed that you were done and so happy for you. But that do will come. Love the finished bathroom. The framed mirror is the perfect touch!

Kristyn said...

For Ilene, I'm pretty sure the bathroom in the top shot is the ladies room at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. We've been there a couple of times since we moved here. Gaudiest place on earth. Best chocolate cake though.

And JOY IT TURNED OUT GREAT!! I am so impressed! I think you and Paul are so in the same boat with finding so much happiness out of working with your hands, which I think is fantastic and i've learned to appreciate - I just haven't quite captured that fire to the same degree. :) But you guys made some excellent choices on everything (love the sink! Is it hard to keep looking good and clean all the time??) I think one of the hardest things about remodeling is making a zillion decisions. Geez louise, that was a lot harder than I expected.

And I must say I was just about laughing out loud in hysterics over the below post with cutting Luke's hair. We have so been in the same boat with Thacker - I swear to you we could have threatened his life and he wouldn't have reacted any worse. T's hair is so long right now but I'm dreading the "exorcism". :) My friend swears by cutting his hair when asleep - I may just have to do that.

A Bunch of Paynes said...

WOW! It looks completely amazing! I love all the colors and textures...it looks so cool and fresh and sophisticated!
AWESOME job. Seriously. Kudos.

Shirley Morris said...

Beautiful selections! Great work!

Wendy said...

Wow! way to go! it looks amazing! And I love that YOU built the little shelves!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

So, did you finally wax the sink?

It does look beautiful! Even better in person!

The built is shelf is a great idea, and you did a great job.