Friday, January 2, 2009

First Time Skiing

While in UT for Christmas we got to get a little skiing in. Alta has a tow rope and bunny hill free all day for those just beginning. In the afternoon you can rent skis at a reduced rate and after 3pm one of the ski lifts is free. Jason and I took Allie and cousin Camille to ski for their first time. It was quite comical. Camille was pretty timid at first but she did great and had good form. Allie was not timid but apparently not too interested in learning. After being pushed and drug up to the top of the hill (not in protest, she just didn't seem to care about putting her own effort in getting to the top) and the then losing a glove which she didn't seem to mind because she said she didn't feel like wearing it anyway and then just lying there in the snow speaking "Chinese" which she heard some other families in line speaking, she finally decided her preferred method of getting to the bottom of the hill was squatting/sitting on her skis. She only ran into a couple of people (never quite got the turning part down), she sincerely apologized saying "Oh I am so sorry" and then patiently waited for them to move out of her way. In the end Allie spent most of the afternoon loving it or crying. Camille, though cautious, I think really had a great time (Jason and I would fight over who got to ski with Camille). The main problem for both of them- snow is COLD.
If you look in photo above and behind Camille you can see Allie eating snow. Do you see her reflection in the window? She LOVES to eat snow. When we were inside returning our skis Allie kept eating the snow that was falling from peoples boots (yuck). I tried to convince her that there was a whole mountain full of good clean snow that she was welcome to eat OUTSIDE.
And lastly... skiing does not come without price. ouch.







4 comments:

Sharalea said...

I've only been skiing once in my life. I was 15 or 16, it was in California--and I channeled ALLIE in my bunny slope experience.

Without the need to eat the snow.

Pack of Robinsons said...

who's leg was that bruise on? Ouch!

paynejandj said...

I was hoping no one would ask that but it is mine (Joy). I am pretty sure it was while Allie and I got tangled up trying to let go of the tow rope (and she didn't really want to or try to move out of the way).

D.B. said...

Well that's funny, some of our friends were there doing that same thing. Although, I can't condone anything that happens at Alta because they don't allow boarders. Didn't know you'd be in Ut, we would've invited you to the Nutcracker or something.