Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Therapy

What do you do when your children are napping or have gone to sleep? Might I suggest a little home repair to help you relax and pass the time. So this is what has been keeping me busy. Every free moment I have either been on the internet shopping/researching bathrooms, or taking apart my own. I cannot even begin to explain how therapeutic it has been. My kids are great sleepers (once asleep) so they haven't seemed to mind that I have been riping out the walls while they sleep on the other side. I just wish I had more walls to tear down.











This is our disgusting shower (or was). This part of the tile and green board came off so easily in my hands. I was really tired of trying to clean this and now I know why. The moisture that had gotten in behind the tile was making it a loosing battle. Yuck.





This is the oops. Can you tell what happened? With my massive muscular athlete strength of my extremely buff and cut arms I broke through the tile AND my bedroom wall on the other side. Alas it is so difficult to gage my own strength sometimes.

We will be doing a little sheet rock wall patching on the other side.












This is the before shot. Well almost before because I had already torn out the carpet and removed the toilet.















We had our shower pan refinished once. It was great for awhile but then pretty soon it looked like this and nothing seemed to clean it. This has been the worst room of our house since we first moved in. I am so happy to finally be getting to this project.






This is my bathroom now. Minus the walls and sofette(?) of course. Oh and maybe a few other
little things. Now before all of our out-of- town guests panic over sharing one bathroom between the hoard of us... relax. I have it all under control. I think.

20 comments:

Krista Payne said...

Joy your amazing to go about ripping all those walls out. I'd be so nervous because I'd be the person to break something major. Good luck with the project.

Sharalea said...

wow!
go queen of home projects! love it. it will look so great when you're done, i'm excited to see the finished product--good luck with all the in-between!

Pack of Robinsons said...

Having done some major home renovations (usually in the heat of the summer), I have to say, I am very impressed. Of course, destruction is one thing you Jacksons are particularly good at. - Chris

Lindsay said...

I like the bathroom with the bare studs, personally. It looks sort of "cabiny." But, I suppose it will look awesome when you're finished too. Way to go!
P.S. I'm jealous that you can sledgehammer in the next room and your kids will sleep through it.

Jen and Joe. said...

Seriously? Seriously.

Wow.

I hope Joe doesn't read this. He'll have unrealistically high expectations for my home improvement abilities.

Thanks Joy.

Ranch Mom said...

All I can say is "WHAT A WOMAN!!!"
You are certainly setting high expectations for the rest of us. My mother got this bug once and cut her nice expensive couch in half wanting to make 2 loveseats out of it- only problem, she hadn't thought about what the open sides would look like. That couch went to the dump! Somehow I think your project will turn out much better... Love, Pat

Ilene said...

The tearing down looks fun. I hope your boys don't see you doing it and try it out on their own new bedroom. You guys would be perfect missionaries down on the ranch...or in Bakersfield even better!

Love Jay and Ilene

Becky said...

Is this the service your going to donate at enrichment?

Jamie said...

Don't worry I am not adverse to using a garden hose as long as I am on my own!! I love remodling projects. You really are super woman. I would never attempt this on my own. I can not wait to see the finished product!!

marlenegetsmail said...

Yes,go for it. I'm sure Jason gets to do his part too. I think it is theaptic as well, its the before and after syndrom. What are you putting up in the shower?
Love Mom

lcpayne said...

As Uli would say, it now time to call in the "weapons of mass construction". I imagine there's something deeply satisfying about seeing a blank slate!

A Bunch of Paynes said...

Joy, I'm so proud of you! Ripping out showers and toilets and sheetrock! Wahoo! I'm excited to see you guys this weekend! Good luck on the post-demolition phase!

Erin said...

Joy, I was glad to see you wearing safety glasses during the demo phase, although I do see you still had the open-toed shoes on!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

So, is the tile done? I wanted to go by and look yesterday, but it just didn't happen. I hope it is done and beautiful!

The Miles Files said...

Wow, Joy. All I can say is that you are amazing. Not just because you dare to rip your house apart, but that you have the desire to put it back together. And you are doing it! Wow. We can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Kristyn said...

I am Impressed! GOOD JOB JOY, has jason had time to help or are you taking over? I was able to take work off today and work on my projects. Your right it is so theraputic. I feel like a million bucks. I'll miss you at the paint party we're having. Paul

Kristyn said...

I can't WAIT to hear how the bathroom turned out! Ours is just as bad. Blech. Maybe you can give us some ideas.

Klingler said...

Joy, you look so cute with your haircut. Your bathroom looks like a fun project. I cannot wait to see it finished.

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

So, were you going to post any after shots?

Linda said...

I need a little more "JOY" in my life. That is I need to be more like you. I do not have it in me to bash walls and take on such a big project. At least, I don't THINK so. You are truly COURAGEOUS!