Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hobo Camping

I helped our scoutmaster Scott Griffin this past weekend take the boys to Navajo Lake to earn the canoing and wilderness survival merit badges. I was the wilderness survival instructor and had the boys sleep outside the first night (a few of them had never slept under the stars) and sleep without a sleeping bag the second night. The low was maybe 62° so it may have been the warmest night in the history of that merit badge (well... maybe Florida has us beat). We were able to get away from the crowd by four wheeling along the beach a few hundred yards away from the formal campgrounds.
One of our boys purifying lake water...

On our way home this boy finally taught me the correct pronunciation of Dzilth-na-o-dith-hle, a Navajo boarding school south of Bloomfield, NM. Each of the boys cooked once and we ate like kings the whole time...

7 comments:

Jamie said...

You amaze me!! How fun:)

Payne-ic Attack said...

Looks like it was a good time. You ate like kings? We need a demonstration of the real "Disney Land" pronunciation.

Payne-ic Attack said...

I meant, "You ate like kings!" That looks like you guys were pretty well set up.

Becky said...

Scott appreciated you helping out Jason. And thanks Joy for having us over while the boys were gone.

marlenegetsmail said...

My hot tub is under the stars. I love it. I eat like a queen and my bed does not have a sleeping bag. I would be a good councilor. MOM

Ranch Mom said...

The other night it was 80 here. It isn't the temperature that gets you when you sleep under the stars it's the mosquitos. I can't wait for winter so we can go camping again.

Dad

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I remember when we drove past Dzilth-na-o-dith-hle, Joy told me that Jason liked to say that word. Or, is it words? Now I want to hear how it's really said!