Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Roasted Tomatoes

Allie and I have been doing a few projects around the house lately. While I had some tools out to work on my kitchen project, Allie borrowed a screw driver and went to work on the door knob. I didn't know she was doing this nor would I have thought she could have succeeded. The truth is she did us a favor. That door knob has basically been broken since we moved in. We (Allie and I) have since replaced it with a new door knob. It's beautiful and it works!

Now to my kitchen project... this is the before.
This is after. Can you tell what I did? Can you tell what is missing?
I made a drop down pocket drawer to hide all the stuff that sits by the side of sink. Fairly simple to do, it just took two weeks to finish because I bought the wrong hinge initially and ya da ya da.
And so now you are wondering why this blog entry is titled "Roasted Tomatoes" (which by the way is the name of one of our FAVORITE soup recipes ever. We got it from Lindsay). Well, since it has taken about two weeks to finish this very simple project, I wanted Jason to come home and get the full impact of it. So I moved everything that was by the sink off to the sides. One of those "things" sitting by the sink was a cardboard box of tomato plants. Maureen and Cory gave us a bunch of tomato plants since they accidently got too many. We are super excited to try these new flavors (THANKS Maureen). You probably see where this is going. I set the box on the stove and this morning I accidently turned on the wrong burner. I was standing in the family room holding Luke when I went to go check to see if the water was boiling yet. There were HUGE orange flames and billows of smoke. I wasn't sure if I should run for the fire extinguisher or a pot of water. The water was closer so we went for that. Needless to say we have had the doors and windows open all day. It amazed me the amount of smoke and how quickly it filled the entire house. And it was all so silent. I sort of imagined flames like that to be loud and crackely. And the tomato plants? I planted them in our garden before I could do anything else to the poor things. I hope they make it.


9 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Oh dear!! HA HA! A smoke filled house is no fun, but the story is.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Love your story! I have burned (and I mean smoke filled, windows open, unrecognizable) three meals just since Mackay was born. I'll have to post a pic of my best- you'll never guess it! Jenny

Unknown said...

Wow! Poor plants - but I'm glad you guys are okay!

I love your little hideaway! I'm very impressed. See, just another reason for us to move closer to you guys - so you can teach me your home improvement secrets.

Kristyn said...

Aaaah, you finshed the drop down drawer project! Was Jason so impressed with his wife or what? And that first pic of Allie is one of the funniest faces I've ever seen in my life!!!!

paynejandj said...

Wow, I am impressed with my wife handy-lady skills. Looks like Allie has skills too. The bonus of all of this is the melting of that green watering thing - Joy loves it and I hate it (not sure why but I do). Anyway, it has been sent to hydrocarbon heaven...

Jamie said...

I am so impressd with your handiness and I would have never thought of that. Poor roasted tomaters I hope they survive. Scary, glad you got to the fire before you had more serious damage!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I swear that Dallin didn't give Allie any handyman tips! Maybe it has something to do with the air or the water on that road, because it was then that he was always taking the screws off of all our interior doors. Her project sure looks like something he would have done.

I'm very impressed with your project! I've been wanting to do that both in our kitchen and in the kids' bath. I'll have to try to copy you! I know Mark's never going to get around to it.

I know just what to give Jason for his birthday...a green watering can!

Leroy Brown said...

Ahh, so that is the fire.

marlene said...

Oh, Now I remember. Mom