Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Saturday in Florida

Saturday morning we went to visit Gus. You can't go to the ranch without seeing Gus the 10 ft alligator they caught in the groves bugging the people working there. Lindsay, was that you? Gus now "lives" in the Carroll House, the ranch's visitor center. Funny how Luke is the only one with the appropriate expression here.

Right next to the Carroll House is the nature trail through the jungle to the Pennywash Creek (that is the official name but it has always been called and known as the Penny Wah) where Taylor built the platform for his Eagle project.
Amazing tree roots! Notice anything else?

That afternoon we had a potluck lunch below the Live Oak tree- a Low Country Boil. YUMMY! It was so good and really fun and relaxing. What I wish you could see is the enormity of the tree. The branches that go across the photo (no begining, no end) belong to one tree. It is such a beautiful tree and provides so much shade. It is called a Live Oak because the leaves stay green year round. You will also notice all the Spanish Moss hanging from the branches. It is so beautiful! Sitting there, relaxing under the tree, eating the Low Country Boil- that was when I had the strongest urge to start talking with a southern accent.
In the evening we went to Campbells to ride a horse. I was so excited for Allie and Luke to get to do this. Luke used to bring us every book we had that had a picture of a horse in it so we would read it to him. (Now it's all cars... cars, cars, cars.)


One happy boy!

And Allie LOVED it too.
Mom had to have a turn.

After the horse Luke found a pink Barbie bike. Honestly I don't know which he was more excited about! We took turns holding the back of his seat and pushing him around (and breaking our backs). At one point I had to grab the handle bars to stear him in the right direction. He was about to hit a tree. He was NOT happy about that! He immediately pushed my hand away. That was when he realized I was holding on to the back of the bike. He was not happy about that either and started pushing me away. And then he fell over. Then he was really mad at me because I pushed him off the bike. He really thought he was riding it on his own. It was so funny. We could not stop laughing!

8 comments:

Vic said...

Great post! Loved the alligator. Lucy loved the Neee [horse] and waved and said "hi Neeee".

I loved the Luke & bike story. At the end was he crying because he was still mad or was he partly crying because he found out he wasn't doing it all himself? I think I have felt like that a few times in my life. Thought I had mastered something until I came up against real opposition and realized that maybe I wasn't peddling all by myself after all? It can be a rude awakening to realize we're not quite as close as maybe we thought, no?

Don't worry Luke - you'll get there! And judging by these photos it will be with style!

And how beautiful is Allie?!?! I always love photos of her. Its like seeing my little sister again...but perhaps with a little more sass?

Kristyn said...

I didn't realize it was NEXT WEEK you guys were coming out. That is so exciting! When exactly are you coming down - Friday? Let me know and tell us what you want to do. We'll plan for a fun trip! I'm so excited you guys are coming! Too bad it couldn't be this weekend for Mackay's blessing, but it's still great.

And that alligator is insane. Let me rephrase that, it was insane how calm and close they were. Horse rides are so cool too! Nice insight on the matter Vic. Glad you guys had such a great time, and I'm loving all the photos and details. Keep em coming!

Ranch Mom said...

Jason, you asked about the name of the creek behind the house. It's official is Pennywash Creek, but has always been pronounced "Penny-Wah". For anyone who might have wondered- gus the alligator is definately STUFFED!

paynejandj said...

Thanks for the correction (actually I- Joy- wrote this post. Jason knew the name).

marlene said...

Wow, that tree is amazing. This kids will have this wonderful memeory and get to visit again. How fun for them.
Mom

Sharalea said...

i am loving the family picture on the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gorgeous.

Linda said...

Thanks for the great photos! your little one is growing FAST! I love the family pic too, and Allie in the mirror!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I love the frog picture! That is a frog, right? I am amazed at the ability you all have to defy gravity when horse riding and bike riding. (Why are the pics on their sides?)