Sunday, February 17, 2008

Who's ya daddy?!

You can tell the difference between Jason's blog posts and my (Joy) blog posts because mine are so wordy. That's what Jason says. So I am sure you can tell right away who is writing. We always write about what our kids are up to so I thought I would write about what Jason is up to. Work has been pretty busy (I know- nothing new there). He has a trip to Minnesota planned and this last week he had some customers in town so he was working late and meeting with them. More and more he is unable to play the "random kid in the room". It used to be that people didn't pay much attention to him because he looked so young and they had no idea he was the engineer until he spoke. I think he kind of liked that role. It sort of shocked people. Now, he is starting to look his age and of course people know who he is. I suppose maybe some new customers still write him off at first. And then they find out he's a genius. With work being so time consuming the "honey-do" lists grow and often don't get checked off for awhile. Example below- plastic on the doors. I was thinking about the Thanksgiving where Jay and James put the plastic up for us (so Ilene wouldn't have to freeze sleeping in the family room on the couch). Fun memories. Anyway we should have gotten the plastic up much sooner. Our $335 heating bill last month made it a priority. I know- YIKES! You'd think we live in a 5000 sq ft house or something. I thought this shot was kind of fun because you can see their reflection.
Although work takes most of the time I would say Jason's main "job" is dad (yes, he's my husband first but that's all fun and "joy", not work :). He is a GREAT dad! We put the kids to bed the other night and Jason was holding Wesley. The kids were having a hard time settling down to sleep so Jason went in to check on them. This is how I found them, all snuggled on Allie's bed and Allie was telling them all a bed time story- Peter Pan. They eventually all had to go back to their own beds.
His other priority is his calling which he does very well (so says our ward family . They always tell me what a great job he does as councelor). It has been fun to watch him grow and although it does take time, we receive many blessings for it. That is something hard to describe, just something you experience. Below is a card all the YW signed for his service. They held a special Thank You dinner for the bishopric (and wives but Wesley had just been born 3 days before so I missed out).So I guess this was kind of a brag blog, but I feel so lucky to be married to this man. And I recognize that his parents and family have a HUGE part in who he is today. I am a firm believer that siblings help raise one another and have an enormous impact on who we are as adults. I can think of stories about each one of you to prove my point. So really this is a Thank You Paynes- to each of you.

7 comments:

marlenegetsmail said...

Hi Paynes,
Yikes! heating bills can be exciting. When we lived in Az our AC was about 400 a month. I guess that why housing was a little cheapter then. Not any more.
I have new windows. They are terrific! I can tell the difference. Jason is a great Dad. I am not used to a man that doesn't yell when the going gets tough. Bless him. Love Mom

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing that sweetness about Jason...

Ranch Mom said...

We're so glad that you and all the other kids are sharing your family lives with us. We're so proud to have kids who are such wonderful parents and people! You're all great
for each other and your parents who somehow managed to do a few things right!

Erin said...

What a nice post!!!

The Miles Files said...

What a nice post. I am proud of you Jason. What a sweet little family you have. I know you are a great Dad, and it is fun to watch. And to have such an amazing wife, who loves you so much--you must be doing something right! Way to go. I love you both.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Joy, you need to frame that pic of Jason and the kids. What a great memory to have visible. jenny

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I LOVE the picture of Jason and the kids on the bed. I love the mildly amused, yet loving look on his face...it's so Jason.

So, if you want Jason to have better hours, tell him to apply at GE! Mark is rarely there later than 7 p.m., and the engineers have mostly gone home before he does. AND, our co-pay for Lucy will only be $250, which is all it was for Isabel.

If it makes you feel better, I just paid a $301.24 bill for just the electric bill...propane is on top of that! I'm hoping it will go down now that Laura has moved on. She'd been keeping her space heater hot enough for her room to be about 85 degrees. Yikes!