Saturday, January 12, 2008

He's here!

I wish I were half the writer Joy is. Little baby x was born this afternoon at 12:25. Joy began labor at about 1:00 this morning. Thankfully this labor was nowhere near as long as that of Luke or Allie. Here is our little family right before we left for the hospital at 9:00:

Our nurse was a midwife for about 6 years before going to nursing school and was very comfortable with Joy's desire to deliver without all of the IV and monitoring equipment preventing her from moving around. (The hospital did get some wireless fetal monitors that we used and liked). We walked up and down the hall quite a few times, returned to our room and Joy delivered on hands and knees. Our Dr. popped the water sack while Joy was pushing and noticed some light meconium. The Dr. stepped out for a bit then came back just in time to see the baby pushed out. After a little suctioning, he scored 8-9 Apgar and began to nurse. He is a chunky little guy.Joy was up after a nice cup of Cherrios and Rasin Bran to assure the little guy that she still loves him even though he weighed 8 pounds, 7.8 oz. He was 20.5 inches long.


Nest it was off to the recovery room in a wheelchair built for a 400 pound man (they must have heard he was a pudge).
Settled in it was time for a good bath and his first fake and bake---
If you look carefully you will see that he has a split thumb on his right hand. The two little tips each have a fingernail and probably bone as well. He'll likely undergo a surgury to pick one about 6 months from now. Split thumbs sometimes accompany other issues, but no other abnormalities were exposed in all of the normal exams babies undergo. Here is a zoomed in version of his thumb(s). If you care to web surf, the medical term is pre-axial polydactyly and the probability of occurance is 1:1000.I came home about 7:30 and relived a very worn out grandma. Joy made a little video for Allie and Luke that I showed to them before bedtime. With any luck, all will go home tomorrow!
Oh, the name? You want to know the name? Well, let me call Joy. Well we're down to two finalists. We have the middle name. We'll post the results tomorrow...

8 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

YEA!!!!! We're so excited for you! He is a chunk and a beautiful boy. We will be excited to hear about his personality in the upcoming days! Names... Have you considered Thomas Payne? Maybe we shouldn't add to the list you already have. I've liked your taste in names thus far. We send out love and congratulations! We hope that "recovery" is great and quick. You're in our thoughts and prayers!!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations guys! He's such a handsome guy. And big too! Joy, you are amazing.

The Miles Files said...

He is SOOOO cute. I love the chub! He certainly looks like the others, just with rolls. I am so glad that everything went well. I will be ANXIOUSLY awaiting the winning name. I bet the kids are thrilled!

Krista Payne said...

Congradulations Jason and Joy. We have sure been waiting to hear how all is going since you've started labor. Little Andrew and Baby X will have a lot of fun together. I'm exited to see him sometime. Krista, Lindsay, James and I were all betting on names and we are anxious to hear it.

Erin said...

Yeah! I can't wait to meet him in person. What a cutie!

Pack of Robinsons said...

Joy, He's wonderful! You look great and give me courage to do this again. The kids say they can't wait to see him in person. Glad your all doing well. Jenny

Sharalea said...

CONGRATULATIONS! wow. Labor was quick & Joy you are my hero--everything without all the "medical extras"! Can't wait to hear more about it to get some inspiration...:)
Joy you look FABULOUS, thanks for taking all the pics, he's BEAUTIFUL and I can't wait to hear a name! SENDING BIG HUGS!!!!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

Wesley is a great name!

He's beautiful! (Although, I still think Allie is the prettiest newborn I've ever seen, including my own.) I can't wait to meet him in person...so bummed my kids are sick today.

Dallin was just looking at the pictures with me, and he said, "That's cool! I wish I had a thumb like that!" Isabel just keep whispering, "Baby, baby, baby..." She loves babies...for now.

So, what was going on with Jason? Somehow I missed that.