Thursday, November 15, 2007

NOW... I get it...

Let me just begin again by saying what a GREAT birthday I have had this year! Thank you-THANK YOU- Thank YOU everyone!!!

Ok, now for a trip down memory lane. I have two memories I wish to share that I can now say I have greater appreciation for. I have a strong image in my head of my mother on her hands and knees scrubbing the dining room floor and in a very exhausted, angry voice saying "My name is NOT MOM anymore! Now go to bed." It must have been a very long day for her. I don't know/remember what had happened that day or why I got up to ask her what I urgently needed to ask her.

Another memory, visiting Jenny and Chris when Hailey was born and Chris saying "YES Jack, SPEAK! I am right here! You don't have to say my name every time, you can just start talking." Something to that effect more or less.

So now, I really get it. Why must every sentence begin with "Mama, mama, mama..." when the last 5,000 sentences began that way and while I am still three feet away from my daughter which is where I have been for the last three hours. Don't call me mom ANYMORE just tell me or ask me what you need to! Dad is at work so he is not around, Luke doesn't say real words yet, so there is no one here but you and I so I promise I KNOW you are talking to me! There won't be any confusion! That usually leads to the question "Mom? Are you mad?" at which point I think to myself "Hmmm , define 'mad'."

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow!! I often say that I wish Mom were considered a swear word because then I could just put the wee one in time out! Dang, it is a bummer that the option really is not an option. I feel your pa!!!

Jamie said...

Let's see, I think the last word would be PAIN!

marlene said...

Joy,
I love you so much and now I want to hear you say Mom. I miss it. So much for not thinking it out. They say its a shame we can't have both worlds -Mommy and" who did I used to be". Well, Love you and it was worth it. The floor was clean too. Hope you have some good memories too.

Becky said...

You could just change your name every day. In the morning tell Ally what it is and that you aren't going to answer unless she calls you by the name of the day. At least this way it would make it interesting or really confuse your child.