Saturday, December 12, 2009

Grandma's Table

During our Thanksgiving break we ate at Grandma's kitchen table. This is the same table where I grew up eating dinner and "chatting" with my siblings. I think I set and cleared this table quite a few times and even swept under it a time or two. Poor Carter got most of the mopping duty for some strange reason (he actually did it). I earned my first $100 from my sister Erin washing dishes from this table. The price started off at $3 a round and wound up $7 a round if I remember correctly. Sorry Erin - you know what they say, never mix business and family.
We all ate countless bowls of Cheerios and Corn Flakes from this table. I still really like Cheerios.
The green lid on the table next to a younger me above is from a sugar bowl of my mother's. I seem to remember a syrupy slurry in the bottom of my cereal bowl after a few spoonfuls. It made the leftover milk very tasty. I am down to no sugar and 1% milk these days.
Grandma, these boys are destined for greatness. Luke, you need a bit longer hair, but you are getting there.

I wonder if they'll extort money from their sisters washing dishes?

9 comments:

D.B. said...

no way, you updated your main pic, good job

The Miles Files said...

It has been really fun seeing all of your fun Florida pictures. It looks like you had a great time. How fun. I wish we could have been there to enjoy it with you all. It is amazing how much Luke looks like you Jason! Those pictures look an awful lot alike. 2 cute boys.

Lindsay said...

I'm glad you included a picture of yourself as a little boy at the table. Before I saw it in the post it was EXACTLY what I was thinking of--"Boy, that could have been a picture of Jason from thirty years ago."
I'm also thankful for all of the great memories of eating around that table. Especially the "sugar bowl."

Ilene said...

That is really fun to see those pictures next to each other. I specifically remember Dad saying once that we were only allowed one spoonful of sugar on our cereal and subsequently Jason getting out a BIG soup spoon to scoop with.

What an obedient son. Thanks for the post!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh, this was so funny! I love the boys' facial expressions at the table. And, for the record, it was worth every penny that I paid you guys to do my dish duty. That was our own Payne family version of trickle-down economics. I remember the sugar can, too. It reminds me of good times around the table with my little brothers and sisters.

Sharalea said...

cute stories, great look-a-like pics!

Pack of Robinsons said...

priceless post!

Krista Payne said...

I was laughing about the table too. It would be a fun photo journal to put together with a lot of pictures around the old kitchen table. The pictures were all sure cute of the boys.

Kristyn said...

My goodness Jason's fam is really good at commenting. I'd better send out a family email to tell everyone to pick it up. I don't think they could all pass up a little competition.

The picture of Jason - wow!!! Your wife gave birth to you. Reincarnated into your son. Except you're still alive. Somehow it works.