Sunday, September 27, 2009

State Fair

Jason here. Last year I missed out on the State Fair when Joy and the kids went with some school group. This year, I really wanted to go- I missed taking my kids to see the animals and always like to see the photography exhibits as well as all the other trinkets people enter into competition. We had a great time as a family- here are some snapshots from the evening.

I would have to say that McDonald's had one of the nicest exhibits. Yeah, yeah, I know what you are thinking- disgusting corporate titans- I am willingly allowing my kids to be pre-programmed by the McBeast! Well, I can't stand their food either - and contrary to popular opinion, there are people who voluntarily eat the "food." Anyhow, their exhibit was about agriculture and was by far the cleanest area at the fair- it didn't have the dirty grime that makes the fair so- you know, the fair. Although it makes sense, I didn't realize the #1 US export are our agricultural products. My father, father in law, and two brothers are in that business so it was fun to think about them. The best part of the McDonald's exhibit for me was entering to win a freezer full of frozen Bueno green chile. We keep telling ourselves that they'll call tomorrow. Bueno also gave out fresh tortillas which successfully kept the five of us away from the turkey leg stand.

The kids ran around picking up eggs and vegetables that they delivered to market.

Luke and Wesley playing on a tractor:

More Luke's size:
Notice how manly he looks on the tractor after being hoodwinked by that pesky girl in the blog post below. I taught him how to pee standing and we both felt like we could put that photo behind us.

Our one expenditure went to Allie who saw this super cool trampoline thing. We had to agree and gave her a go. Of course this involves giving money to safety technicians you are just thrilled to trust your children to:
Anticipation:
She almost pulled off a flip; she sure did try- maybe next year:
Skipping the mechanical milk cow and turkey legs, we survived off of four tortillas and went strait to the heart of Albuquerque for dinner: The Frontier. One sleeping boy, a chile smothered breakfast burrito, carne adovada and a cinnamon roll later we were done. If you have never been to the Frontier, you have never been to Albuquerque. Come visit us and we'll take you, our treat! Here is a photo of the Frontier:

Two communal steaming plastic cauldrons of smotherable chile goodness are shown in the upper left of the picture below and on my burrito in the foreground.
Until next year...

8 comments:

marlenegetsmail said...

Ah, the fair. Thanks for posting. This is a good way to learn. Now to get to see the real thing, someday. The food looks good. I think that's the main reason to go to the fair. MOm

Lindsay said...

Love Frontier cinnamon rolls. Our fair's in Pueblo--if we ever get that far, we might just keep driving and come to yours instead!

Ranch Mom said...

What a darling post- I love the pictures of the kids. I looks like it was a great family day. Wish we could have been there! Love, MOM

Erin said...

What a fun day! Luke does look very manly on the tractor. :) All of the kids look like they had a great time. I want to go to Frontier next time we're in town; we missed it last time.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Can't wait to go out to eat at the in a few days....and have it all on you. Yessssss.

Wesley's hair is killing me.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I left out the word "Frontier"...hello.

Sharalea said...

Molly, I'm jealous you get to try it out in a few days: LUCKY.

:)
Love the fair pics. I love fairs! The smells, the sights, the rides, the lights...and of course, THE PEOPLE. I'm a people watcher so I just drink it all up.

Good times.

The Miles Files said...

That looks like so much fun. I love all of your pictures, and your descriptions made me feel like I was right there with you. Allie is a brave girl. I would be too chicken to do something like that. I think I have only been to the Fronteir once, probably 20 years ago. We need to plan a visit.