Tuesday, September 8, 2009

School is great- still!

School is going very well! Allie absolutely loves kindergarten. The second day of school Allie said she wanted to ride the bus. We have a stop right near our house and I thought that would be a great option later on when it got cold. I was not prepared for her to ride the bus the SECOND day of school. But she was ready. So we got her safely on the bus and then like the neurotic mom that I am, the boys and I jumped in the car and drove to the school so we could be there when she got off the bus. She was fine of course and she totally loves riding the bus. It is such a strange feeling to watch your 5 year old get on this huge vehicle and drive away with strangers while she is waving at you through the window (and yes, she always sits in that first seat by the bus driver). She is only FIVE! I know, I know... time to cut the apron strings.

I have started helping out in the classroom once a week. A friend and I swap babysitting so we can go into the classrooms. That has been great. It is so fun to see them in their environment. They are practicing their letters and numbers and Allie can now write her full name- Alexandra Payne. That is what is on all of her papers but they still call her Allie.

The boys are doing well and play together all the time. They were before too but you can see a different bond forming without big sister around. Wesley still doesn't have a lot of words but he seems to understand when you talk to him because he will respond with a "ya" when it is appropriate. He doesn't take his diaper off like before but he does stick his hand into his dirty diaper and then come and show you so you know it is time for a change. Totally disgusting I know- I hope you are not eating something while reading this.

On the home front- we finished repainting the hallways with nonflat paint so we can actually clean it, the corbels under the counter are now stained and secured in place, we finished the floor into the dinning room as well. We have the base boards now that need to be stained and and and... Things are slowly coming together. S-l-o-w-l-y. Very very s--l--o--w--l--y. My joke was Thanksgiving and now, do I dare say it, I really hope by October and Balloon Fiesta we will be done. And I am not joking this time.

7 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Can't believe that Allie! I guess I'll wait to see the finished master piece IN PERSOn.

Ilene said...

What are corbels? So, is that one of Wesley's "bad habits" you're trying to break him of before Thanksgiving? That is hilarious. Andrew picks his nose and shows us the boogers to wipe off for him--we should probably break him of that one too.

That's great that you followed Allie to school, how cute.

Sharalea said...

Allie is so brave! I love her "can-do-anything" attitude--and the babysitting arrangement so you can be in her classroom is awesome. I have some friends that do that too and think it is brilliant.

Good luck with the last section of the home remodel TO DO list--can't wait to see the "AFTER" photos!!

paynejandj said...

Corbels are the wood braces/brackets that attach to cabinet under the counter top or bar. I will make sure we have a close up of them...

... soon I hope...

Erin said...

I'm glad Allie likes school so much...hopefully that lasts through to college graduation. Keep plugging along on the house, we'll be excited to see it when you're done!

Lindsay said...

Wow--the bus. SO FUN for kids and enough to make the mom want to cry. I would have been right there with you following it to school the first time. Go Allie!

Wendy said...

Your kids are so funny! And grown up! I love the stories!