Saturday, September 19, 2009

Gutter Babies: The New Generation

Gutter Babies? Well, my oldest sisters Erin and Maria earned that name by playing in the gutter in Blythe, CA after it rained as little kids. I can't say that I blame them; Blythe is a hot place and rain must have been novel. The name has stuck around our family for decades now.

Fast forward to the new generation of gutter babies- Erin and Maria, I hope they make you proud:
Three little gutter babies playing with Dad's gift. I try and bring the kids a "surprise" whenever I return home from business travel. Five or six bucks can net a handful of super cool balsa gliders- Wesley got the deluxe biplane so Luke and Allie wouldn't fight and Wesley is plenty capable of defending his property if challenged.

You can see my attempt at a haircut for Luke. Wow, an aborted exorcism to put it mildly. It has grown out now and we went yesterday to see Flo who cut his hair- you'll need to wait for the next post to see the results. Here he is yelling for the fun of it:
I tried to sit the boys on a bucket for a photo, but Wesley was not too interested.

There, that's better, wait... Wesley get your hand out of your diaper!
For the record, we all got dressed and walked over to the park and flew the airplanes until it got dark. Until next time...

10 comments:

Ilene said...

I love that last picture. Nice decision to give Wesley the biplane. Cute gutter babies.

Ilene said...

I like the picture of Luke and Wesley on the bucket. It reminds me of Dad's old pictures of when we were kids.

Lindsay said...

Look like authentic gutter babies from the historical photos I've seen. Fun! Is that your back yard? I'm trying to figure out the orientation if it is. Does it look that different now?

maureen said...

Jason, true gutter babies know about old gum floating by in the gutter and how to share it. Yours are cute wannabes though.

Ranch Mom said...

I love seeing the pictures of the kids, but I'm afraid they will be disappointed when they come to Florida - no gutters, no paved streets, but lots of dirt to play around in, water to get muddy in animals to look at and ride, eggs to gather from the chickens and a medium sized alligator named "Killer" that stays put in a ditch right by the side of the road. Grandma Payne

Sharalea said...

the cutest 'gutter babies' i've ever seen!! :)

Erin said...

I am glad to see the Gutter Babies tradition lives on...these kids have done their aunts proud. And Maureen is right...I still have the memory of peeling gum off the hot Blythe street in front of our house and chewing it. It was really gritty.

Unknown said...

How adorable! Good times. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love love love Wes's grin in that first picture. Those kids are so cute!

The Miles Files said...

Ahh, reliving the good old days. I think they may just be cuter than the originals. I bet the kids LOVE that you bring them presents when you come home. You had better not make the gifts too good, or they may try and send you on trips more often! We miss you guys.