Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Great Dust Bowl

Before

I remember learning about the Great Dust Bowl of the 1930's in junior high. I remember several general facts but the one that stood out most, and maybe it's not even true, was that some of the farmer's wives- the women trying to care for house and home and laundry and cooking and and and... (an endless list)- many of them went mad. The constant blowing of the wind coupled with the dirt and sand. Aaaaaauugh!!! Well I have now a better understanding of the insanity. Welcome to my mini dust bowl.

The kitchen and family room before photos (as seen above). Nothing was all that dreadful. The kitchen was some what inefficient, we were not crazy about the paneling in the family room and I never really like the fireplace. I really have so much to be grateful for and I certainly LOVE my home but we were excited to really make it our own. The main thing we wanted was to take out the wall between the two rooms (if you have never been here, the family room shot is taken with your back to the wall. It is the same wall that is on the left in the kitchen shot).
You know how one thing leads to another. When Grandpa Jackson came to town to help tear down the wall and put up a beam (it is a load bearing wall), well we needed to get behind the paneling in the family room. But of course the paneling was nailed behind the slump block brick fireplace. We knew it would get dusty so out went the carpet and padding. Basically now everything has been torn apart. And oh that part was so fun. Absolutely every last thing in my house covered in dirt, dust, mortar and debris... not so fun.


AfterThe new view of what will some day be cabinets and counter top with no wall. Or dust and debris. And the ladder will probably go too.

17 comments:

Payne-ic Attack said...

Good job, that looks fun. We are excited to see how it turns out. Bet your glad to have a truck!

Lindsay said...

You may have already looked at this more carefully -- in the last photo with all of the cladding stripped off, it looks like there is already a beam above the 'load-bearing' wall. Al you would have to do (if that is true, I think, says the guy who is not allowed to sign a document yet...) is leave the column in the hallway.
(James)

In any case, that sure looks exciting. Lindsay was wondering if you were wearing your steel-toed Teva sandals for this job.

Jamie said...

WOW. You are doing it!!! I can't wait to see the finished product. Hopefully in person. If it turns out anything like your fabulous bathroom it will be gorgeous. My kids often ask about your kiddos, like we can just run down thee block and say hello. Sure wish we could!
Sorry aout the dusty mess. I hate that part of remodeling too!!

Erin said...

Wow! The wheels are in motion...pretty exciting! I look forward to watching the progress!

Sharalea said...

WOW. What a huge project, you are so brave!! :) I love the Daddy Daughter shot, looks like you are really enjoying the demolition part of it--

Can't wait to see the results (after the dust bowl is over!)

Wendy said...

Wow! you are a brave woman! I think I'll wait to visit till its all done!

Ranch Mom said...

WOW, you have done a lot in a short time! So, are you still using the kitchen and mainly doing one room at a time? The real fun will begin when the kitchen is torn out !!! What are you planning to do with the fireplace? Are you going to have a hearth or what? This is very interesting and exciting for us, we're all lucky to not be living there (all you need is company at a time like this!). MOM

Klingler said...

Joy, I cannot wait to see the end result. I can see where you get your beautiful smile. Your dad is really sweet to come and help.

lcpayne said...

There's something deeply satisfying about bare studs. I always get visions of extra electrical outlets everywhere!

maureen said...

The only thing missing from the dust bowl is removing tile with an air chisel. It's like pouring cement mix into a blowing fan! Good luck.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Jared is a wiz with fire places if you want ideas.

Payne-ic Attack said...

I am so impressed that you are doing all of that! I think I would dream about it, but not be willing to go to all the hassle and work of it and I'd just live with the fireplace and wall. I guess I'm not a homeowner yet, so maybe that'll change when I actually have freedom to do that king of stuff someday. That last shot is awesome! I'll bet that was a lot of hauling away and cleaning to get it looking like that. -Ilene

Klingler said...

Hey, Peggy(Greg's mom) called and told me about your grandpa. I am sorry to hear that. We are thinking of you. I wish we could come to the funeral to see you and meet more of our Price relatives.
Take care!

Jen and Joe. said...

wow....one thing DOES lead to another!

A Bunch of Paynes said...

Joy do you think you may be related to my parents? All of my growing-up years consisted of walls going up and walls coming down. I'm beginning to think you're a one-woman wrecking crew, like my mom. :)
It's going to be completely amazing. Hooray for you!

Linda said...

were those built ins by the door? are they still there? I was liking them...you are really GUTSY to tear down those walls and fireplace. I didn't really like mine so I just painted it, sort of . And bought a mantel. It is hard to imagine doing that large of a project...will you and Jason be doing it yourself or WHAT? ( now that the demolition derby is over...)

Kristyn said...

Oh! I am so so so excited to see these! I have a special place in my heart for before and afters! :) (Sidenote: where are the bathroom afters? That's a post for another time. I still have stuff I want to post from our old house too.) Did you know my parents have a really similar light to the one you guys do in your kitchen? I really like yours and theirs. And looking at that picture of you and Le, it kind of looks like you and your dad kind of stand the same. I think Paul stands like that in pictures too, seriously how funny is that. I'm so excited to see the rest of these photos - good luck with your little dust bowl!!