Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Death of a great friend...

I came home this evening to Joy and Allie who were crying. I found out one of my best college friends, Andre Peterson, died in his sleep. He was apparently had been ill for a week and was found in his bead by the missionaries who had planned to meet with him. Andre leaves behind a little 8 year old girl (Allie's age) who lives with Andre's former wife in Mesa, AZ. Andre was living in Battle Creek, MI working for Kellogg as accountant.

(best men at Andre's wedding in San Diego)

Andre had many friends and was an incredible guy. Super smart, UNC Chapel Hill wanted to give him scholarships based on his race. He told the school he would attend but only if they would give him the highest academic scholarships which they readily did. He was quite a complex guy who overcame immense odds emerging from a very rough childhood. I learned a lot from Andre and am a better person for the privilege.

He had a lot of old photos from his Facebook page from his Las Cruces days. Here are some great memories.

(games @ Bp. Ficklin's home in Las Cruces)

(@ college house in LC)

(goofing off in backyard, LC house)

(best men, San Diego)

Goodbye friend.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Jason, I'm sad to hear about Andre. I remember meeting him during your visit to conference during college. He seemed like a great person. It sounds like he's definitely made an impact on many lives.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I'm so sorry! I can tell you truly loved him and were a good friend to him (and vice versa). I'm glad you shared this.

Love you guys.

Erin said...

oh, wow. that is very sad. i know he was a good friend to you and touched your life.

lcpayne said...

Andre was a lot of fun. I'm really sorry to hear the news.