Thursday, March 31, 2011

Allie's Poem

Jason here...

OK, read this poem Allie wrote earlier this year:
Translation:

My Life

I sit on the bench waiting for the bus.
I sit on the bus waiting for my house.
I have arrived at my house.
I sit waiting for my dinner.
I lay on my bed waiting for my life to be over.

by Allie Payne


Her teachers were dumbfounded as were we at parent teacher conference. So where did this come from?

Dad gene: Likes poetry, not at all flexible (yeah, at all)
Mom gene: Likes cooking, very flexible

The result:
OK, so flexibility solved. Check.
Back to the poem mystery.

I like to listen to Garrison Keillor's Writer's Almanac, a little audio clip that is played daily as I drive into work. For example, play the audio clip here:
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2010/09/04

His format is-

1) talk about this day in history
2) describe some (typically) disturbed crazy writer and their tortured lives and lovers
3) read a poem

I like 1) and 3).

I like to share the poems with Joy and at times others. Some are very moving, some funny, and others just OK. I shared the podcast (link above) to Joy sometime last October?

The Jobholder

by David Ignatow

I stand in the rain waiting for my bus
and in the bus I wait for my stop.
I get let off and go to work
where I wait for the day to end
and then go home, waiting for the bus,
of course, and my stop.

And at home I read and wait
for my hour to go to bed
and I wait for the day I can retire
and wait for my turn to die.

****

Who knows what the writer had in mind. I actually took it as a little darkly humorous and how it feels sometimes right before a good vacation. It made me smile and I played it for Joy.

So, as it turns out (now putting things together half a year later), Allie listened to it too. I asked her about her poem last night. She remembers hearing this poem and thought it was "cute" an "about an old man" and not at all dark or depressing. So when free writing time came around in her class, she wrote her version of the poem.

Mystery solved... Check.

When Wesley can't touch his toes but can whip up a wicked bisque we'll know what happened.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that girl has a good brain in that head of hers. Ask her if I can borrow it until Tuesday.

paynejandj said...

Peggy what is Tuesday???

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I had no idea Joy was that flexible! Would love to see some photos of her in the same position.

Great post. Hilarious and amazing poem (sad too).

Lindsay said...

I'm amazed at Allie's almost total recall and ability to fit it to her life.

And...the flexibility issue. I'm glad to finally see a Payne that can touch her toes, even though I would NEVER dream of trying it that way! That's awesome.

Ranch Mom said...

Allie continues to amaze - her brain's creativity cells are working overtime! MOM

Sharalea said...

Amazing! I'm so glad you found the background behind her poem--what an amazing memory she is storing in that darling head--and my back kind of hurts after looking at her yoga pose.

WOW.

I second Molly's comment.
Joy??
:)

D.B. said...

nice sluething

Erin said...

I can't believe how smart Allie is to remember that poem. I bet it did puzzle her teacher a bit until the source was explained. Jason, I bet it won't be too many years until you come home from work to find that one of the kids has whipped up that awesome bisque. :)

Linda said...

It's good that you solved the ???? of where the seed for that poem came from...otherwise...you 'might' have had some teacher being pretty ....watchful...over poor disturbed Allie. Disturbed, and talented, and flexible.

with a great memory!