Monday, January 25, 2010

A Celebration

I came home from spinning class this morning excited to wish my now 6 year old girl a Happy Birthday. We got a call soon after telling us that my grandfather, my father's father, passed away in his sleep last night. He was 97. He joins his wife who passed away in 2001.

I have been thinking about some of my memories of my grandpa. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of my grandpa is his laugh. I can see and hear it my mind. It was a quick loud robust laugh that would fade as he ran out of air laughing. There were the summers eating cherries off their tree in the backyard, the time when I was about 13 that my older sister and I got to stay with my grandparents for a week (we stayed up late playing a card game when we were supposed to be sleeping). Grandpa joined the single men at my wedding reception and tried to catch the garter which was fun for everyone to watch. My grandfather served in WWII. He was a part of 7 invasions including D-Day. My cousin Shirley and I video taped an interview we did of him the summer before I got married. We asked him about his war experiences. He was emotional as he talked about them, about visiting the concentration camps and seeing the cruelty of the Nazis, of coming home on the ship and how almost every man wept, tears running down their cheeks as they saw the Statue of Liberty.

What I had not seen was the rest of the video that my cousin finished taping at a later date. On there was a message to me- right before my wedding. My grandfather told me he loved me and that he hoped I would be as happy as he and Naomi, my grandmother, were. And that he hoped we would have 6 or 7 kids.

My cousin asked toward the end of the video what he would say to Grandma when he saw her next (she had already passed away at the time of taping). He said when he saw her next he would say "Naomi, I'm so glad to see you." I am sure she was happy to see him too!

11 comments:

Sharalea said...

Sweet celebrating! I would love to see that video that you two made! Thank you for sharing your grandpa memories...I recognize that photo, too! ;)

and...HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLIE GIRL!!!

paynejandj said...

Shara, I looked for 2+ hours trying to find a photo of Grandpa. I know I have pictures of he and Allie and Luke but I could NOT find them! So I gave up and "borrowed" yours. Thanks!

Sharalea said...

No problem!! :)

Ranch Mom said...

Joy, we remember your Grandpa well from your wedding. He was such a nice, cute man!

We tried to call you guys tonight to wish Allie a Happy Birthday- but you must have gone out to do something special to celebrate. We Love You, Allie! Grandma Payne

Jamie said...

Grandparents are special people! What sweet memories.

Vic said...

Joy, I have thought of your interview so many times and wanted to get a chance to see the video. I hope it will be there this weekend. I was thinking that it would be fun to have everyone bring a photo of Grandpa from some occaision that has a special place in their memory.... I think I am going to email dad about it actually...

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

So are you on track for those six or seven kids? Something you need to tell us? JK

Happy Birthday, Ali. This was a sweet post. See you this weekend.

Kristyn said...

Joy, I'm so glad you posted this. I don't we think have one picture of him. Isn't that awful? I'll have to go back and double check to be sure. These are great memories. Grandparents really are special people, just like Diaper Diva said. He was a great guy.

Lindsay said...

Sweet memories Joy. I'm so glad you guys got that interview. That is priceless.
It's amazing how much your dad looks like his father. I really noticed it in the picture.
And happy birthday Allie!

Harold Jackson said...

Dear Joy
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Grandpa. It was great to see you at the funeral this weekend. You have a special family. Love you lots.
Uncle Harold

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

Sorry to hear about the loss for your family...in this life, happy for him to be able to return home to family that has passed on before him. Sounds like an amazing man!