Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Before" and a looooong time in coming "After"

Happy New Year! I thought this day would never come. And now the moment you have all been waiting for...

Before:

After:
Before:

After:Before:

After:
Before (yes, that is floor tile on top of Formica- puse green Formica that was rotting inside and made the kitchen smell like rotten potatoes):
After (with instant hot water on the left):Before:


After:(We built the wall out next to the oven cabinet. The beam that took the place of the load bearing wall sits on that new little wall). I love having a place for all my paper products now... napkins, tin foil, paper plates and plastic ware etc. Need a new box of ziplock baggies? Right here above the double oven.

Before:
After:
I know some of these shots do not seem to match up. We didn't do that great of job standing in the exact same spot for the "after" shot. Are we done? No, not quite yet. We are right now in the process of putting up the back splash. Hopefully it won't take another six months to post those shots.

At the risk of it looking unorganized and messy (in real life it doesn't look like this; I have made some changes and of course we open one cupboard door at a time) here are a few shots of the fun features of our kitchen.

The refrigerator is our original (= free) but the pantry cabinet next to it was one of the added cabinets. I am still tweaking the how and what I am going to store there.

The drawers below the induction cooktop are wonderful. Middle drawer has the cooking/stove items and the bottom drawer has most of the baking items. To the left of the cook top is the three tiered pull out spice rack. To the right is the vertical cabinet for the cookie sheets and such.
We have a pull-out drawer type cabinet for garbage and recycling. It is awesome to pull it out just enough to wipe of the counter junk right into the garbage (and/or sink when appropriate- love that). A cabinet for the Bosch. It tucks away when not in use...
... and pops up into a locked position when ready. It stays plugged in all of the time using an outlet inside the cabinet. It is nice to have a home for this since we use it so often it used to just stay on top of the counter.
All of the doors and cabinets have a slow stop close so they don't bang shut. The drawers pull out to full extension and of course the lower cabinets have pull out shelves.And Jason threw the following pictures on here because... I don't know. These are some of the tools I know how to use now I guess. Pat- I am cutting the blocks for my nativity in this shot.

23 comments:

Ranch Mom said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

This is really a fantastic make-over, I had no idea it would be this much of a change! I love it all, the only thing I wonder about is whether your Bosch "walks"? Mine walked when the bread was near the end of the process and gallumping around in the bowl. The pull-out stand is great, just no room for a wandering machine. I was really surprised by the wall that backs up to the dining room with the 2 ovens and cabinets- that was a surprise. It is all wonderful, it must be so fun to cook in there now!

Jamie said...

OH MY FABULOUSNESS!!!!!! I love it, all of it. Way to go guys:0)

paynejandj said...

On Bosch walking: The suction cup feet are really good and keep in in place. So yep it works!

Ilene said...

No way! That is WAY cooler and nicer than I could ever imagine. All the bar stools and dark wood, the Bosch cabinet. Your stove top that looks like just a cutting board or something on your counter--where are the dials/controls for it?? It is BEAUTIFUL and so bright and open, I love it. That was a great New Year's/Christmas present to finally see the finished product!

Ranch Mom said...

Did you get the little Nativity set done before Christmas?

paynejandj said...

The induction cooktop is touch controlled. Pretty cool. I really love my cooktop.

And Pat... I am sad to say that I did not get it finished. Hopefully by this weekend? I need to go get the modge podge stuff.

Sharalea said...

A-MAZING!
Seriously--WOW!!! I love the dark cabinets, the recessed lighting, the countertops, all of the cabinets and the AWESOME DRAWERS--amazing bosch spot & fancy cooktop & SINK (hot water!?!?! FANCY SCHMANCY!) Also love the pull out trash cans...wow.wow.wowwow. GORGEOUS! WELL DONE!!!

Kristyn said...

OH

MY

GOSH.

Hip hip hooray for not having to live in a construction zone any longer! (or at least for the the kitchen, the most important thing!) You guys I am so happy for you/ impressed with it all! Do I have Jason to applaud on the choice of cabinets? :) And with the flat cooktop - I loved ours in our Mesa home as well, but I was going nuts at times trying to get caked on stuff off that blasted thing. Any problems with that?

Well done you two. Now take a nice loooong break.

Kristyn said...

Oh and Jason, I do want our pics from the cabin in RAW format if you could send those to me. Just whenever you get a chance. Thanks a million!

Klingler said...

Joy, this is amazingly beautiful. I love it. I like how it is nice and open and connected to the living room. I wish I could see it first hand. You have done such a great job.

Klingler said...

P.S. I am curious to see what your living room looks like.

marlenegetsmail said...

Great pictures. Great job for all the work that you had to put in. I am very impressed that you hung in there. You are probly not done with the fireplace if I remember right. That will be fun to see. Hope you have a good week. It was fun to see you after Christmas. Love ya SF Mom

paynejandj said...

Kristyn,

That is what is so beautiful about an induction cooktop. The cooktop itself is not what heats up, it's the pan. So nothing NOTHING ever burns. I have had something spill while boiling and just lifted up the pan and wiped it off. I have done the same thing and didn't wipe it until a long time after. Wipes up perfectly EVERY time (because of course food cannot get burned onto the cooktop).

Yes, that is instant hot water at the sink. I forgot to mention that and I LOOOOVE it! The cabinet color was my choice (Jason agreed on that) but the cabinets themselves... the doors and design was Jason.

Still working on the fireplace and living room so those shots are still to come.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Looks like something out of a magazine. Great design, awesome features! You guys did a fantastic job.

Anonymous said...

Wow. IT IS SO PRETTY! I want to roller blad through it too! It looks so big and spacious. How does the curry taste coming from that kitchen? I better come try it out for myself.

Pack of Robinsons said...

worth the wait! Interested in the nativity- after all these years we still don't have a real set.

D.B. said...

Very Nice, love it. I want a video of the Bosch unit in action :)

A Bunch of Paynes said...

Beautiful! As a previous short-lived stint as a kitchen designer, I truly appreciate the quality and beauty of your kitchen! GOOD JOB! It looks completely amazing!

The Miles Files said...

THAT KITCHEN IS AMAZING! I am so happy for you guys, and so happy to see the pictures. I just want to say WOW over and over and over. I love what you guys did. It looks like a whole different place! I bet that kitchen makes you excited to cook. I can't wait to come sometime and see it in person. It was WONDERFUL to have you guys stay. It was a huge let down when everyone was gone. I don't think I was ready. I bought the next years calendar, Joy. I didn't think I would, but after our amazing trip, my hope in the Savers calendar was restored! That was SO MUCH FUN. Lets do it again. Make it an annual tradition! :)

Unknown said...

I'm drooling over your kitchen... I'll need a new computer after looking at these pictures. My poor keyboard!

You guys need a vacation to recover from this project!

Erin said...

WOW!!! It is beautiful! I am so impressed! I love the color of the cabinets and the hardware on them. The bar is awesome. I like the big open floor plan of the kitchen and the family room. I bet you all hang out around the bar a lot. The cabinet configurations are great. That thing that pulls out under your sink to hold the sponges is neat, I have never seen that before. The mixer thing is very cool too. Do you LOVE the drawers in the lower cabinets??? (After having a dishwasher, I think that is my favorite thing about our kitchen.)

Wow! Seriously, impressive, especially since you did it yourself. I need to come see it in person, hopefully we'll be out there in October around balloon fiesta time...

Great job!

Lindsay said...

That looks simply gorgeous. My favorite part (if I can even choose among those cool features) is the big, huge, open, huge big countertop bar.
I also love the shot of the big, open room taken from the family room. Awesome job guys.

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I really love the remodel, and it is even better in person. Awesome work! I also love the crèche on the counter in the pics.