Thursday, January 14, 2010

Birthday Boy turns 2

Can you feel all the love going on? Our neighbor/close friends came over for a small cake and ice cream party Monday evening for Wesley's second birthday.
Luke was out of his mind with excitement to eat that cake and open presents. Until he learned only the birthday boy gets the presents. I don't think irrate is too strong of a word to describe his reaction to that.

Wesley was very happy about the whole event until we dimmed the lights to light the candles and sing happy birthday. (A quick side note: I remember my fourth birthday. Sam and I were celebrating it together as usual. We were in the dinning room with the back door to our backs- this was before the addition. My parents dimmed the lights so that it was just the glow of the candles. Some other people were there. I was seated next to Sam and suddenly everyone was looking at us and began singing really LOUDLY. I now know it was Happy Birthday but at the time, I wanted to cry and crawl under the table. That is my first and earliest memory. Way to repeat it).
All better!
The cake:
The girls got him an adorable little tool set complete with hard hat, safety glasses and tool belt. It was a hit (and Luke was screaming with jealousy)!

15 comments:

Sharalea said...

2 years. REALLY!?!?!?
Glad he ended up a happy 2 year old in the end. The cake looks awesome, very creative!! Happy Birthday, Wesley!!

Ranch Mom said...

Cute cake Joy! Poor Luke, I guess we need to think of the other little ones at Birthday time. The little carpenter set was sure a hit. Wish we could have been there to give him a birthday hug. MOM

Lindsay said...

Love the cake. Wes looks like he's ready to take on the next home improvement project. Happy birthday Wesley!

paynejandj said...

Allie never had an issue with birthday jealousy so I hadn't thought much about it before. Luke will be ok. Everyone has to learn sometime. I think he was confused too because the day before he was asking about Santa Claus bringing birthday presents for everyone on Wesley's birthday.

Erin said...

Neat cake. Poor Lukie... But Wesley sure looks like he had fun!

Ilene said...

Little Wes, following in his mother's foot-steps. Looks like a lot of fun.

J and I.

Lindsay said...

I also love how Allie is comforting Wesley during the scary candle ordeal.

Ranch Mom said...

What neat pictures. I particularly like the one of Joy and Wesley smiling. What a neat kid. The little hat and goggles make him look buff.

What a little miracle baby. Hug him often; he's growing up.

Love

Ranchdad

marlenegetsmail said...

Is it just me that thinks my grandkids and daughter are beautiful people? You are. Thanks for shareing the pictures. I love the cake Joy. Mom

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

the first photo looks like he got a haircut! i was so excited. but i'm still excited that he turned two.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Joy you look so pretty in those pictures. And Wes looks pretty cute too.

Anonymous said...

Joy you look so pretty in those pictures. And Wes looks pretty cute too.

Krista Payne said...

I can't believe he is 2! You had a great cake, it was so cute. He sure looks like a worker in that outfit.

jen said...

Hello Payne family! It was so much fun to spend some time together on Saturday - I hope to see all of you again very soon! Funny coincidence - my sweet Hannah turned 2 on January 14th as well! Much love - Jen

D.B. said...

Way to traumatize the kid, to think candles on his birthday cake :) It took Colby awhile to figure out why ppl were throwing stuff at him at parades too! The world through the eyes of little ones :)