Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween (a week too early)

Friday, October 30th. A strange and mysterious note was left on our doorstep with this (click on the photo so you can read the note):
A brain and an eyeball!!! Which we later ate. Watermelon flavor- yum!

What did I do this Halloween that I have never done before? Make my daughter's costume!!! Allie and our close friends/neighbors (aren't they the best kind!?) decided they all wanted to be Geisha Girls. My friend Emily offered to make Allie's costume. I was quite relieved. And then I was feeling bad about that so I offered to hem it. And then, I don't know where it came from, but I decided to sew the thing myself! Maybe it was because I knew Emily would be right there to "hold my hand" through out but I did it! I am pretty proud of myself too. Allie ended up getting to wear it 4 times that week- once to the church Fall Social, once to dance class, once to school for the costume parade and then of course on Halloween. We sprayed her hair black for one of those days and then ran out of the hair spray. So did the grocery store. So for Halloween Allie decided to go with green. Hey, it is Halloween so why not.

We were so happy that the weather was nice since it had snowed for two days in the middle of the week. By Saturday it had warmed up and we ended up going out and going further than we have in years past. We went with the Hedricks (our friend/neighbors) which made it so much fun. So why did it come too soon? There are a lot of things I wish I could do over. I never really got to decorate for Halloween. We missed that. I never got a photo of Jason and I together (he was a dog and I was cat). I broke the wires while trying to put in the doorbell (which we haven't had for months) so we could be ready for trick-or-treaters. All of those fun little things that help you feel ready and like you can enjoy the holiday. Oh well, we still had fun. How can you not?! It's Halloween!

9 comments:

Sharalea said...

Pretty little geisha girl! GO JOY sewing her costume!! I'm so impressed! Cute pics, even without the dog & cat shot. :)

marlenegetsmail said...

So what was the brain make of? It sure looks real. Glad to see the custumes. You are amazing. Love MOm

paynejandj said...

The brain and eye are made out of jello. Crazy huh! It looked so real!!!

Lindsay said...

The costume looks great--nice job Joy.

Linda said...

ok, so for some reason my brain told me that the letter was written by someone from ...an asian country, possibly Japan. This has nothing to do with gieshas.

Joy , in that picture, for some reason, you look 12 again.

Luke ...looks not as happy as everyone else. GREAT JOB on the costume, Allie looks great!

Erin said...

great job on the costume! Wesley looks so grown up I wouldn't have recognized him other than process of elimination. That brain looks awful, and real.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I loved making Peter's costume this year too. Love all the photos of Luke. Not happy.

Can't wait for christmas!

Ilene said...

Kirei ne! Pretty little girl!

Ranch Mom said...

It is nice when someone you know comes to your door trick or treating. I wish you could have dropped by. Maybe next year.

Grandpa