Saturday, June 13, 2009

This Place is a Dump!

The dumpster finally left this week. Hooray! It sat smack in the middle of the driveway. We didn't think we would need to get one since we were only removing one little wall. The kicker was breaking up the sidewalk and the hauling out the rocks. So not only did we have our cars parked out on the street (the garage is full of, among other things, appliances just waiting to be installed), a big ugly dumpster full of rock and cement, we also had a 20 foot long trailer that we have also used on several occasions that I was certain we wouldn't need. Yes, we were looking pretty trashy. We had my friend's daughter with us for almost a week while they were out of town. She told me "Your house is ugly and my house is pretty." I could not have agreed with her more. She is 3 years old and very smart.

Before:

After:
We have been working on the floor this week to have it ready before the cabinets go in. I don't mean putting in new flooring, I mean renting two different scraping and sanding machines (very LOUD) before finally, last night on hands and knees while pinching a razor blade between our fingers- scraping the floor.

In other news, the taping and first coat of mudding are done. Hooray. Now just another week of digging that ditch. Ditch digging... is getting old. It took us 10 days to dig out the line while destroying our backyard and killing 3 trees. The ground is hard and full of stones and rocks and roots. Now we just have to dig the ditch deeper to get to code.
(Ok I will admit I wanted to include this shot to show off my ditch digging muscles. I would rather be doing push-ups in a clean house away from the gnats.)

The kids have been... not well. Our change in diet has created a severe case of constipation which ended in taking both Allie and Luke in to see the doctor (at different times) since the usual remedies were not working. It is hard to see your kids in pain as well as exhausting and wearing to have the constant whining and crying. That is a difficult thing to add to the mix of our current life.

I have to end on a positive note and say that every time I whine and complain, I feel really guilty because of how lucky and blessed we are to get to do this and really how somewhat fun it is at times. I don't think Jason would say this is all that fun. I have had to apologize a number of times for my behavior. The highs and lows of this project have been pretty extreme and I feel bad to take it out on him. Someday, as everyone likes to remind us, it will be over and it will be beautiful. Someday.

12 comments:

Vic said...

When all this is finished your home will be "YOURS" like never before. Its kind of pioneer-ish transforming the desert into home.... Wish I could come help.

Lindsay said...

Love the picture of Joy with the pickaxe. Sorry to hear that Allie felt bad too. You guys are doing great work, though.

Pack of Robinsons said...

Ugh! I can't wait to see the new garden!

A Bunch of Paynes said...

Ah, Joy, I'd be whining and wallowing...I might even be laying on the floor looking very pitiful if I were in your situation. I usually do get that way when my vision of doing things doesn't line up with what actually happens...when it's harder than I think it should be and when I've predetermined that I deserve better. Then Bekah asks me why I'm crying. Then Rus tells me in his macho engineering terms that I need to be "more fluid." And then my mom tells me to, "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it."
Man, you will have a great story one day, (you already do..I love reading about it all), but that doesn't discount all the agony that goes into making it beautiful. I'm here, if you ever want to run away. :)

Klingler said...

Joy, I feel for you. I wish I could come help, or at least come and take your kids for a while. You do look really buff in that picture by the way. Guess what? Greg got the job. So we're moving AGAIN. I have happy and sad feelings. One of these days we'll get settled. Having said that, I am willing to do what the Lord wants us to do. Here we come Idaho!

Unknown said...

Joy, you go, girl! Sorry to hear about the kids - have you tried Miralax? Our pediatrician recommends it to our kids. Anyhow, Vic's right; it will be yours like never before. If it looks anything like your bathroom, your house will be stunning once you're finished. I'm in love with your bathroom!

Vic said...

Seriously? MAN. I'm so sorry. How are you doing all that and watching the kids? I can't even imagine. I hope things go more smoothly and quickly from here.

Love you guys--

Molly

Erin said...

You guys are doing great work; hang in there! I can't wait to come see the finished project.

Sharalea said...

HGTV should be getting all of this for a DIY show! You guys are amazing. I am sooo impressed.

I'm great at starting projects but fall out about half-way through...Trevor has to keep prodding me along. I think you're doing an amazing job!!

Love the muscle pic :)

Payne-ic Attack said...

So, what's your kind of realistic time-line goal for finishing it? I'm sure it probably started out as being a lot shorter, then more hurdles came like all projects, so it's longer, but just wondering. . . when is it looking like bathroom won't have to double as the kitchen? Good luck! I can't imagine the stress and exhaustion included in a project like that.

The Miles Files said...

Wow, you guys. I wish I was closer so that I could help you somehow. I can't imagine all of the hard work, combined with the day to day stress and pressures of "normal" life. I hope it has been a good week so far, and that you are moving forward and able to see progress. If you can see progress, I think it helps to be able to cope. Hang in there... We love you all!

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

I think the jack hammer at Doreen's was more impressive!