Monday, April 19, 2010

Birthday Boy

I am grateful my kids are still small. They don't miss the fact that we forget things like the birthday banner, balloons, ice cream, or dinner on their birthday. Once again it was "If I had one more week..." and this time a good excuse too because next week I won't be exhausted and sick (yippee)! Jason stepped in a made one of Luke's favorites- mac n' cheese, from a box. Oh yum. Yes, I feel the same way just typing it. I was trying to finish frosting the cake at the last minute.
Considering how I feel, I am pleased with how it turned out. In the end it doesn't matter too much what I really think or feel because Luke loved it!!!
Wesley was helping out with the icing earlier. We had to laugh- looks like Halloween.

It was a quiet evening. Our family friends came over to eat cake and open presents and then off to bed with the kids (who each wanted to bring one toy to bed with them).

Our happy 4 year old boy! And one of his favorite friends!

Special thanks to Shara who I email and called a bunch today about the cake. Most of the ideas and suggestions were not necessarily implemented since it was past 6:45 when I was trying to hurry and frost the thing and still no dinner. I am excited for the next time!

11 comments:

Sharalea said...

It looks great! I told you that no matter what, he'd LOVE IT!! Great chats today, we need to chat more often!! :) :) :) You can make your next one without time commitments so you can experiment with what you want.

Happy Happy Birthday, Luke!!

marlenegetsmail said...

Fun pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I do love his face-he looks happy. Allie's hair looks so long here. How did you do the cake. Can I get the details? Love Grandma

Kristyn said...

I especially love the top picture!! The cake turned out great!!! I don't know why you're not more excited about it - well done girl! And happy bday to the Lukey boy!!

Linda said...

Little boys love mac n' cheese! And that cake is wonderful. I love that your cakes are loving cakes...love does not equal perfection. You look great, BTW, and I hope you are feeling a little better everyday!
4 is awesome.

Ranch Mom said...

Happy Birthday Luke. I hope your mom or dad will pass this along. You sure are growing up, and such a cute, sweet boy. He is so handsome.

Wesley enjoyed himself. Frosting all over everywhere! Eating right out of the bowl! Licking the knife and spoon. Life just doesn't get any better than that.

The cake looks fun. I'm sure Luke loved it as well as everyone else.

Ranchdad

Ilene said...

Awesome cake! When we were talking to you the other night I almost asked whose birthday was next in your family, but for some reason I thought Luke's had just passed. I guess a year goes by too fast for me now. Andrew loved the picture of the cake and was worried seeing Wesley with frosting all over.

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday Luke!!
Joy, you put me to shame. I am not pregnant and will still not even attempt a home made cake, let alone a home made fun cake. I am lame and pay the ladies at fry"s to do it.So I super impressed. Glad you will be feeling better soon!

Krista Payne said...

That's an awesome Lightning McQueen cake! Happy Birthday Luke. I love the last photo.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Fantastic job on the cake. Seriously! Especially given your "condition". Happy Birthday, Lukey! He's so growed up. (say with pinched nose)

Love you guys. Can't wait to see more photos of the house.

Erin said...

The cake turned out really well, and I love all the photos (especially the first one). Happy birthday to little Luke!

Pack of Robinsons said...

"Icing McQueen" is awesome. Mackay just saw that movie so we may need your hints for next year!