Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Chichen Itza

It was a 2 1/2 hour drive on toll roads through the jungle to get to Chichen Itza. It looked much like Florida only we rarely saw cars on the road with us. It was so nice to have our own rental car which allowed us to come and go as we pleased. We ended up being the last people to leave the ruins. We had our own little inside joke going as we kept referring to Tuesday as our "Ruined Day". Ha, get it ruin-ed?! Ha ha ha. Oh we crack ourselves up.





What a cute brother and sister shot!
Something tells me the Mayan people were perhaps shorter. Or at least their feet were.


The stone ring you see had a matching one on the opposite side of the field. They played a game similar to basket ball where you had to shoot the ball through the hoop. Oh and no hands. Amazing.


Molly was amazing! Being GREAT with child she still kept going. It made me tired watching her.

Jason ran in to an OXXO like this on our way out of Cancun to hit the long road to Chichen Itza. He got wheat bread that looked very American-like. After all the amazing yummy bread we had been eating when we saw the loaf bread we just about threw Jason out of the car. That or the bread.
On our way home from the ruins we stopped at a grocery store to get some more food. It was so nice to have a kitchen for breakfast and late night snacks.
We also stopped for gas. But the gas station was taking cash only and we were going to use a credit card. So we left, Jason driving. And that is when we got pulled over. The officer tried to explain that we had exited through an entrance. What?! He tried to tell us again and it wasn't that we didn't understand him it was just that it was the stupidest excuse. They want a bribe. I explained to him that we were just leaving that gas station because they wanted cash and we were going to pay with a credit card and showed him that we were on "E". He went to talk to his supervisor in the vehicle and then came back and let us go assuring we would make it to the next gas station. He was really nice but dissappointed.
This is our beach and dock. We swam every day even if it was late at night after being out and about all day. The hotel pool had a swim-up bar and a little bridge crossing over that I thought Allie would have loved. Everything, the grounds, the pool, the rooms, were really beautiful and cared for. Just wish they would have combed the beach. But believe, I am not complaining.

10 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

My hair is SWEET. I can't believe i only put a few shots of chichen itza on my blog. I was worried i would have too many photos on there and was too lazy to break my blog up into different days. (so now my blog is just super long). Anyway...these shots are great. IT WAS SO FUN!

Anonymous said...

chickenpizza sounds cool. ha. Ruins would be really cool to see I think.

Jen and Joe. said...

Turn all that sand into snow, and you're in Massachusetts! =)

Danell said...

Oh my goodness - your post brought back so many great memories. We went to Cancun on our honeymoon. Chichen Itza was so much fun! Can't wait to hear more about it!

Pack of Robinsons said...

I am SO jealous. Also, I am So disgusted by the cops' corruption in Mexico.

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm going to live vicariously through you guys. Cool trip and you're cool parents - much better than us so far. Not to mention you tan so nicely! I swear I'd blind people in the summer (day-glo). I can't believe that bribery bit is really true - I thought that only happened in movies or TV. (So I'm naive...)

Krista Payne said...

Wow! I loved the photography. Great job, there are some amazing pictures. Looked like a lot of fun. You must of been the last ones there, there wasn't anyone else in the ruin pictures.

Ilene said...

That's beautiful! Great stories too. Good ole Mexican cops. We've had plenty of similar experiences in Mexico with the cops and the people at the gas stations trying to fill our car but not clearing the previous bill, or somehow charging us for way more. We learned to do the filling ourselves or be standing right next to them the whole time. I'm glad you had so much fun!

Linda said...

Ilene that was a good tip!? who knew...When we went to Mexico ( one of those now or never opportunities to visit friends in Mexico!) Spencer was an unbelievable 7 weeks old...and my sister kept him! When we went to chichen itza I was so sick that I stayed in the visitors center. I could barely lift my head..But thankfully other than that ONE day I did pretty good. So thanks for the excellent pictures! I didn't realize the steps were that shallow!

The Miles Files said...

It has really been fun to hear about your trip. Your pictures are great. I am so glad for you guys that you got to do that. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. You all sound very adventurous. I love that! You guys always seem to make the most out of wherever you are, and see all that you can see.