Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We're In!

Well... mostly. We still have to get the cooktop wired in and then I will have all my appliances. I have already used the oven (1st thing I baked was enchiladas), the microwave, the dishwasher, sink (which is not an appliance but one of the best features of our kitchen and maybe ANY kitchen) and of course our refrigerator. We kept our old refrigerator because it works and we can save up for a new one later but our current refrigerator feels like new because for the first time ever we can use the water dispenser in the door! It is so awesome. I know you are anxious to see photos (believe me you cannot be more anxious than we were) but we are waiting for the finishing touches on the cabinets. They are supposed to come back and fix some things, add some things... soooo... you will just have to wait.

My parents and Jenny came into town last week. It was so much fun! And they all worked so hard! We sanded, stained, painted, wired, dug, washed, cleaned, laughed, ate, shopped and swam- among other things. You don't have to read this list since you just read the brief description anyway but I have to write it down because I want to remember how much they did with and for us. We rewired the oven (a story in and of itself dealing with cutting more holes in more walls but we are so past caring that I hardly feel the desire to go into details), remounted the oven for the 3rd time, rewired the dishwasher, wired the outlets, jimmy-rigged the evaporative coolers (so we could actually have cool air... aaaahhhh), rewired the hall switches, filled the trench (mostly), swept and mopped the floor, painted and remudded the walls, wiped, vaccumed and power dusted and the cabinets, washed every pot and pan and spoon etc while unloading the boxes to put back into the kitchen, sanded the window seal and sealed it, cut down and pulled out the dead pyracantha bush (died in the the ditch dig), returned oodles of things to Lowes and Home Depot, washed and dried clothes, cleaned bathrooms, played with kids, went swimming, went "garage sailing" (where I bought two bar stools for a dollar each and a really cute pair of Kenneth Cole shoes, jewelry, a baby seat that attaches to the bar, running shoes- it was so exciting and so fun!), went to Savers and the temple. I am telling you it was nonstop! We took a long Sunday nap after they left. We miss them still.

And now some photos of today's rain. This was just after the rain had stopped and this is the water coming off the roof through one of the canales (pronounced canalees, really).
Here you can see that last part of my ditch that has not been filled in yet. It is now a duck pond. Except I have no ducks.

This shot is our brand new ceiling- with the hole that rain water was coming through. Might as well add "new roof" to our remodel list.

And now for a few more construction shots. Wesley's favorite tool by far was this little key hole saw. He LOVED it. And if you ever left it out he would snatch it up!
By the way that is my mixer cabinet. The mixer will be on a shelf that pops up and out and then back away again so I won't have it constantly sitting on my counter. Love it!

11 comments:

marlenegetsmail said...

Joy, it was a pleasure to be with you and the kids and Jason (Sat). I was glad to be a little cooler but we are not glad to be so far away. Your kitchen will be great. I can hardly wait to see how you decorate. Love MOm

Lindsay said...

Wow. Hooray!

I think Wes and Andrew need to go into business together someday. You know, Payne and Payne Incorporated. They could fix all sorts of things.

Erin said...

Yay! Glad you guys are nearing the end. Can't wait to see it!

Unknown said...

This is amazing! I can't wait to see the photos!!!!!!

Ranch Mom said...

What will your kids do for fun when the remodel is finished?

Sounds like things are finally coming together. We will be waiting to see the finished product.

Wesley looked cute in his (playpen)?

Love

James

A Bunch of Paynes said...

Yay! You did it! I can't wait to see pictures. Hooray for a sink, appliances, and being able to cook in the oven! I'm glad you had a fun visit with your fam.

Klingler said...

The suspense is killing me. I cannot wait to see it finished. I am glad that you had some fun helpers. That always makes big, endless jobs so much better.

Princess Muhmah and The Clan: said...

Love the cabinets! If I ever do new cabinets, this is the color I'd pick.

Are you going to be adding a low wall between the cabinets and the family room, or is it staying like that?

Kristyn said...

The mixer cabinet is ingenious!! My friend has one for their microwave - it's awesome. (The whole microwave is part OF the cabinet, if that makes sense.) Can't wait to see the 'Afters'! What an experience!

Sharalea said...

Congratulations!! Sounds like a high power weekend with the fam in town, I am so excited to see "finished" pics. YOU DID IT!!! You now know you can survive ANYTHING!!! :) We're so excited with you!!

J E F F said...

Great to hear you're making progress and not finding too many more projects (roof excluded) to actually move back into your kitchen. Think about how much you'll appreciate it when it's all said and done -- and then sold two years later to someone who will also appreciate it, but will have no freaking clue what it took to accomplish.

Hopefully, you'll be cooking come the balloon festival! :-)

Hang in there.